News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

help required choosing 800 or xc

Started by vince, July 07, 2013, 08:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vince

just rode the 800 and 800xc
I like both but the 800 suits me better
my wife find that the 800 is too harsh
and jars her back which we have to be carful of
she finds the ride on the 800xc is alright
my question is this
can you make the 800 a softer ride with out to much cost
or is it possible to get an 800xc with cast wheels
it's a height thing for me
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

Sin_Tiger

Two options.

800 - Spend money on a better shock.
XC - Buy a set of lowering links and a low riders seat.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cug

Most of the Roadie's harshness comes from the front fork. I've installed full cartridges at the front which made an amazing difference but was also really expensive.

Going to a suspension shop and having the front suspension reworked (non-adjustable but to your liking) should be around $500 or less, especially if a shop has done a Tiger 800 before.

Lowering links on the XC might be an option, but then you also need to move the forks up in the clamps and you can't do all too much of that because there isn't much clearance left over for fork travel. Still possible.

Sin_Tiger

Should only need to drop the yokes about 12 to 15mm, I've done it on the Roadie and the Welsh gent I bought my links from reckons it works well on the XC from the feedback he's had.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

gatordoc

For what it's worth the roadie 800 softens considerably after a few thousand miles.  I've about 10.5k on mine now and it's substantially more compliant than when new.  This might not help you much, but it would be a good excuse to rack up some miles. :5moped
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

\'96 Steamer
\'11 800