News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mud....Lots and Lots of Mud !

Started by DutchMichael, February 27, 2005, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMichael

Okay after the last report you may get the idea that I ride in alot of mud.. Not always the case, however the past couple of rides it did work out that way.

I am sorry but no pictures from the actual ride, I forgot to bring the camera with me on the actual ride !  I made sure to bring it up from Houston, but left it in my bag when I left for the ride..  Mabey it was not a bad mistake, since it could well of been destroyed by the water and mud.

No Triumph Tiger on this ride, I took the car to my brothers home in Ennis.  He has both a BMW GS and a Honda so I did not see a reason for the cold ride at night from Houston 3 1/2 hours north to Ennis.

The trip was not originally planned to be a ride, however since I ended up with no work on Friday, the same as my brother, we could not waste the good weather.  We had no paticular plan in mind, just strike out from his home and look for smaller and smaller roads.  The lower the weight limits on the bridges, or the more frequent the signs stating road closed during high water the better.

The ride was great !  Cool weather, but not to bad.  Lots of curves, hills and narrow country roads.  We probably completed about 75 to 100 miles before we spotted some intresting dirt roads.  At this point they seemed to be wet, but still hard enough for ideal riding conditions. No dust, but excellent grip.

We came upon a turn that we recognized from a earlier trip.  My brother remebered a wooden bridge and a long dirt uphill climb.  The plan was great, we should of paid more attention to the warning signs.

The first of these signs was just around the corner.  We were traveling down the road at about 30 MPH.  I saw a long puddle in front of me and thought, its not my bike, Peter will have to wash it.  Up to that point the bikes had remained mostly clean.  Upon entering the puddle it gained depth very rapidly.  By the time I was 1/2 way through the water was casscading off my helmet, pouring inside my face sheild and splasshing over my head.  Only one thing to do, accelerate through the rest to not drown the bike or rider !  Of course my brother having the same vindictive streak that I do just about feel off his beamer laughing.  I was soaked.  My winter riding coat protected my top, however I just had on mesh riding pants over my jeans.  My jeans were more than a little wet.  My gloves were soaked and my riding boot were filled with water.  But what the hell, still alot of fun, and i dont have to clean the bike !

This dirt road swung through a flood plain of about 1 mile before the long climb up the hill.  The road had been under water a couple of days earlier. It looked bad, but I was doing pretty good on the Honda 650.  Sure fish tailing and throwing alot of mud, but making slow progress.  I stopped about 200 yards in to check on my brother behind me.  He was not doing quite as well. In fact he and the BMW, from now on known as the FAT PIG, were laying down on the job taking a rest.  I am not sure if I would of choosen a mud hole, but it seemed to work for them.

We should of turned back than, but no...we could see the hill ahead of us.  I slogged back through the mud, freqently over the top of my boots to my brother, no damage or injuries.  Way to slow and a very soft landing.  The mud was starting to stick to everything.  A very heavy dark clay.  We got his bike up and he started on his way for about another 50 yards.  He was stuck again.  But not laying down.  When he dismounted the bike stayed vertical, burried up to the skid plate on the bottom of the engine !  At least we did not have to pick it up.  At this point we check out the Honda still a couple of hundred yards ahead of us.  It was laying down also.  The kickstand had sunk all the way into the mud.  Well we could worry about that later, first we had to get the FAT PIG out of the hole it had dug.  Lots of cussing and cursing and pushing later the bike was out.  For about 3 feet.  This was starting to p**s us off !  Okay scew the hill lets just try to get back to the main road, and hope nobody comes and sees both bikes like this.  The wheels of the FAT PIG were no longer knobbies, they were now slick with the mud.  Large chunks all over the bike.  The front wheel did not turn because of the mud under the fender.  3 to 4 feet at a time before you would get stuck again.  The front wheel not turning was the major problem.  It was alot of work to get the bike out in such little stints.  Peter really really really needs to give up smoking.  Some more physical endurance on his part would of helped pushing, pulling and picking up the FAT PIG ! :x

It took us about 2 and 1/2 hours to get the FAT PIG out to solid ground.  A very dirty and wet lesson later.  Always listen to that little voice in your head saying "are you fu***n nuts !! turn back !!" No instead we listened to the voice saying "hell give it a shot, how bad can it be, it will be a blast!"

Even getting the much smaller Honda out presented severe problems with lots of horizontal resting.  But after you are covered from head to foot in mud what does it matter ? :(

We decided to head back to his house.  To much fun for one day.  We did stop by the local Texaco for a gatoraide.  Only one of us went in since we were tracking a very large amount of mud !

Back at the house you all now how it goes.  Luckily for me I was at his home.  No wife to yell because of all the mud.  We did strip off and dump the clothes right into the washer.  During my shower I noticed several un felt cuts and scrapes.  Nothing serious, but some what painful scrubbing the mud and gravel out of.  Even when you are hot and sweaty, barely moving a stuck bike, all the gear all the time.  However nothing, soap, hot water and neosporin wont cure !

We parked the bikes in his garage and made a good dinner and watched a movie.  The next day we went into the garage again and saw how much work he will have cleaning the bikes.  This I did get photos of.  I just wished I had the camera during the ride !

greg

Well that's made me smile. Looks like the Honda was a trifle more suited to it all.
2004 Girly.

Mr Mistoffelees

hahaha geat report and pics - looks like a lot of fun and hard work  :lol:
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Mudhen

You guys rawk!!!

Haven't had the pleasure of getting my Steamer into places like that yet, but have had my GS there - I feel for you!

Maybe the bags should come off before you try it again?   :D

\'96 Steamer