News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

800 Equal Pannier Racks Modification

Started by Sin_Tiger, September 01, 2013, 04:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Mustang, feel free to edit move this as you see fit.

I am not all that keen on the Triumph boxes, solid and well made as they might be, I prefer my Trax hard boxes which I have used for a while. I don't like having one wide and one narrow box or having them both the same but looking like a lop eared dog.

I carried out this modification on my Roadie previously and it worked pretty well, this was the main reason for fitting the Zard, I don't complain about the noise difference either, though in truth the stock one sounds fine to me, it's just big  :icon_eek:

Basic method was to cut off the legs that mount to the fixed brackets on the subframe, SW-Motech Evo racks. Then grind smooth the weld remainder on the main hoop. Fix up a support frame suspended from the left side rack which remains mounted, for that I had previously used MS angle iron I had in the garage, in this case I did'n't have that luxury being in Singapore and had to go and buy a length of inexpensive alloy angle whcih I chopped up to do the job.

I then used a few lengths of stud bar that I did have to align and support the right side hoop between one hoop and the other through the pannier bobbin holes, adjusting it till I was happy that both sides were positioned the same distance from the centre line. Do not assume the centre stand will ge the bike exactly vertical even if you are on a perfectly level surface most stands have slightly uneven legs, so a plumb line from the rear will not give you a correct centre line to measure from. Pack the legs with thin steel until you get it right. The racks are not completely parallel to the frame either, they are normally slightly narrower at thte front than the rear. This can make a big difference to how things handle at speed so you have to get it right.

Now I know the Zard penta will allow me to get completely equal spacing but I can't vouch for any others though oval ones like the Akrapovic and the like might but I suggest you measure one fitted before you shell out on an expensive can.

Now it's just down to cutting and grinding the original legs until they fit neatly and welding them up, paint / powder coat to taste and you are done.

Second mod was fitting a tube in the vacant space on the left. I made this out of 70mm heavy drain pipe with a cap on one end and a screwed inspection cover on the other. This I modified to take a locking hasp. This was ssecured to two pipe clamps from the drain pipe store which were in turn welded to pieces of flat bar that pick up on the pannier mounting screws, you could equally well weld them to the hoops if so inclined.

That takes two alloy 1 litre cans of fuel as back up / stove fuel or one & one water. I like to have things out of sight and secure where possible, if you've had stuff knicked off your bike when you are in a remote area you will know what that's like.

Next will be an alloy plate to fit in the right side that I intend to mount a spare sprocket and chain set such that it is between the plate and the pannier when fitted. There is still room on the left above and below the fuel tube to take some other gear without it getting in the way, not made up my mind which way I am going with that yet, maybe my cook gear or spare inner tubes.

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Nice neat job Sin,  A nice piece of alloy tube to replace the drainpipe as and when you come by some would look good.  I'll keep my eyes open, you never know what is coming up in the auction rooms yard sale.

Hopefully I'm taking delivery of an AC DC TIG tomorrow.  Can't wait to get it set up and have a play.  Being able to weld aluminium will be cool  :icon_cool:  I'm hoping it's like riding a bike - you never forget.  I haven't welded ally for nearly 40 yrs!!!

Maybe I'll go into making side boxes  :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

How do you manage to keep your hands in your pockets at these sale rooms  :icon_scratch:

It's a lot easier to get the start without ruining the electrodes with these modern machines, mind you working out how to set the things up in the first place you need 3 years training on a Nintendo.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint