News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Roadie Equal Pannier Racks Modification

Started by Sin_Tiger, September 02, 2013, 08:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Mustang, feel free to edit move this as you see fit.

I am not all that keen on the Triumph boxes, solid and well made as they might be, I prefer my Trax hard boxes which I have used for a while mounted on SW-Motech Evo racks. I don't like having one wide and one narrow box or having them both the same but looking like a lop eared dog. I know the Zard penta will allow me to get completely equal spacing but I can't vouch for any others though oval ones like the Akrapovic and the like might but I suggest you measure one fitted before you shell out on an expensive can.

This modification has worked well, used them on a run from Scotland to London at more than brisk speeds, fully loaded with a Bonnevile head and barrels as well as normal travelling gear. No issues with balance or wind pressure and even some careful filtering in traffic as they are almost the same width as the stock bars and mirrors. Then again to the IoM TT, survived being strapped to rails by the Ferry blokes and getting the occasional bump from other bikes.

Basic method was to cut off the legs that mount to the fixed brackets on the subframe, then grind smooth the weld remainder on the main hoop. I initially fixed up a support frame of MS angle iron that I had lying around suspended from the left side rack which remains mounted. I then used a few lengths of stud bar to align and support the right side hoop between one hoop and the other through the pannier bobbin holes, adjusting it till I was happy that both sides were positioned the same distance from the centre line. In the end the stud bar with a small strap accross the seat to support the weight was sufficient.

Do not assume the centre stand will ge the bike exactly vertical even if you are on a perfectly level surface most stands have slightly uneven legs, so a plumb line from the rear will not give you a correct centre line to measure from. Pack the legs with thin steel until you get it right. The racks are not completely parallel to the frame either, they are normally slightly narrower at thte front than the rear. This can make a big difference to how things handle at speed so you have to get it right.

Then cut and grind the original legs until they fit neatly, tack weld in situ (don't forget to cover everything against weld spatter) and final weld off the bike, painted up with good old Hammerite smooth and it's job done.

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

haggis

thats what I needed ... how much further out do these protrude than the crappy originals?

Sin_Tiger

I think they are actually inside the stock boxes but don't have the dimensions to confirm. I'll be putting the racks and Zard up for sale shortly, pity you're on the other side of the world now :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint