News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

60% of Triumph's made....

Started by threepot, September 30, 2013, 08:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

..in the Far East,Malaysia? Glancing thru 'Bike' earlier,I was shocked to read that stat :icon_scratch: I know its a financial reason,but from my perspective,'Triumph..made in Malaysia' doesn't quite have the same appeal.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

NKL

What do you expect when we have successive governments trying to kill off motorcycling, soon there will be no point whatsoever to manufacture the other 40% here.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Bixxer Bob

I thought this was going to be an adaptation of the old Harley joke:  60% of all Harleys made are still on the road.  The other 40% made it home....  :icon_razz:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Quote from: threepot on September 30, 2013, 08:36:27 PM
..in the Far East,Malaysia? Glancing thru 'Bike' earlier

Hmmm...still waiting for mine to be delivered :icon_scratch:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

threepot

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 30, 2013, 11:08:53 PM
I thought this was going to be an adaptation of the old Harley joke:  60% of all Harleys made are still on the road.  The other 40% made it home....  :icon_razz:
:icon_smile:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

PeteH, sorry,didn't you read the small print :icon_study:..Made in Malaysia..pick it up in Malaysia  :icon_smile:

"I never thought the Japs could build the CB750,and that Triumph's would one day be made in Malaysia"....Edward Turner. :icon_scratch:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Imagine how galling, rebuilding the Steamer in Singapore to get parts delivered from the UK marked made in Malaysia when I could see Malaysia from my apartment  :icon_sad:

The  Malaysian stuff is all the rubber stuff, seals, gaskets etc. Which makes sense as they still have a lot of rubber plantations over there. It's not just Triumph, Kawa have a factory in Malaysia.  This doesn't mean I will be buying a Proton anytime soon though  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Advwannabe

A lot of the stuff for the Bonnies is made in Thailand too, as well as the wiring loom for my Girly.

The radiator for my Girly comes from Austria, a lot of the brake components from Japan etc etc.

All the manufacturers do it, when I went through the Ducati factory a few years back they were very proud that most of their castings were made in the local Bologna area, but a a lot of the rubber and plastic came from somewhere else.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Dutch

I thought I read somewhere Triumph had a factory in Thailand. Apperently even more: currently its Thai factory assembles the 865 Twins, as well as the 675 and 1050 Triples (source).

Also found an article about Triumph closing a Thai plant, but turned out that had nothing to do with motorcycles  :hat10

akendall1966

Reality of manufacturing, a CNC machining centre located in Malaysia will produce the same quality of parts as the same machine in the UK. There's not a lot of skilled work left in volume manufacturing.  It's more about logistical costs, proximity to market, import export tariffs, tax breaks than labour cost as well as automation means that is a relatively small part of the total cost.
----AK-----

nickjtc

My '10 Thruxton was made in Thailand. Since it was the first Triumph I had owned I cannot comment except to say that to me its build quality was at least as good as bikes coming out of Japan.

I will be interested to see how Stanley compares, even given that fact he was built/made/constructed/created/put together (what IS the correct word?? :icon_lol:) in 1996.

FYI his po bought a new 800XC to replace him this summer and is quite disappointed with its build quality. Especially the plastics.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

The Steamers "gestated"   :icon_wink:  the tank I believe was made Acerbis, not sure about the other bits, they were certainly over engineered compared to other makes of the period and most current bikes.

I have not had anything to complain about with my XC so far, they did have a bad batch of indicators from a sub supplier, reputedly Italian and a few have had blistered paint on the cylinder barrels but comparing that to most Japanese bikes with less than a third of the paint (dft) thickness (BIKE magazine did a survey a few years back) is not a lot to complain about.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 12, 2013, 01:35:56 PM
The Steamers "gestated"   :icon_wink:

Love the word. Has a nice ring to it. :icon_razz:

Sin_Tiger

The Thais love customising their Bonnies.

There are some accessories that are not in the catalogue and only available locally  :bad, thankfully my missus hadn't seen those options for the Trophy or that wouldn't get approval   :augie

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 21, 2013, 05:46:10 PM
The Thais love customising their Bonnies.

Now, if the top one comes in red too she would look great sitting on Stanley  :thumbsup