News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Strange noise when hitting bumps/ riding on dirt

Started by LouisL, October 09, 2013, 09:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisL

When I ride on dirt roads (at a pretty good speed) or hit a pothole/ bump I get a strange clunking noise. Sounds like it is coming from the direction of the centrestand or thereabouts. I've checked if anything seemed lose that can cause this rattle but cannot really find anything.

Others having this noise?
Into the great wide open
Under a sky of blue...
A rebel without a clue
Tom Petty

Bixxer Bob

Yup.  Never worked out if it's the stand or the chain hitting the swinging arm. :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

One with 2 legs and a levery thing for getting it up.   :thumbsup

Original Triumph.  :pottytrain2
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

:icon_razz:

I have heard guys in Singapore complain about the original Triumph one having a very lazy spring.

No such issues with my SW Motech stand, the H&B stand has a reputation for breaking.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

LouisL

The lazy spring actually makes a lot of sense. If you just pull on it or so it doesn't seem lose but maybe the forces involved when you are riding and hitting a bump are just a bit stronger :icon_scratch:
Into the great wide open
Under a sky of blue...
A rebel without a clue
Tom Petty

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 10, 2013, 02:14:00 PM
:icon_razz:

I have heard guys in Singapore complain about the original Triumph one having a very lazy spring.

No such issues with my SW Motech stand, the H&B stand has a reputation for breaking.

:iagree

ADVRiderinVA

I don't think it's the center stand.  I have the same KLUNK sound and I've velcro strapped my stand tight.  I've checked for loose bolts, etc and I come up empty.  It drives me crazy!  :BangHead
11 Tiger 800XC - Love It!!!!
04 955i Tiger (Sold)
07 DL1000 (Sold)

John Stenhouse

The late girlies do this, it's from the front forks though.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

ADVRiderinVA

If it's the front forks, then my Tiger has learned how to "throw-it's-voice".  The klunk that I hear is definately coming from the Left Rear part of the bike.  I put a piece of rubber where the kick stand meets the kick stand stop, but that did not change things either.  Still perplexed.  :BangHead
11 Tiger 800XC - Love It!!!!
04 955i Tiger (Sold)
07 DL1000 (Sold)

Sin_Tiger

There's not really anymore options down there, other than chain whack but I'm sure you'd recognise that.

Bixxer Bob

Have a look at the rear shock mountings, likewise the chainguard, hugger if you have one etc etc.  If they are slightly loose you could be getting a knock from there.  Otherwise, what Sin said.

blacktiger

This noise is the chain hitting the plastic swingarm guard. That guard then slaps against the swingarm which magnifies that noise. Someone on another forum in another galaxy far far away has fitted some draught excluder in between the plastic and the swingarm which, he says, has made the noise go away.
Me? I can't be bothered and just put up with the noise.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.