News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Africa Twin,more fun than a Tiger??

Started by threepot, October 14, 2013, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Just been reading 'Bike' mag There is an article in there..'Best used bikes for £2500'($3900). Under the 'Adventure' section,they picked the Africa Twin,stating that its more fun than A Tiger or a 1100GS. Then they list the spec.. 52hp-112mph-38mpg.  Tiger spec..85hp+-120+mph-40+mpg.  I know the AT is renowned as a quality bike,capable of big miles,but more fun? :icon_scratch:
Oh,and for that money you'll get a private,slightly scruffy mid 90's bike! :icon_smile:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

akendall1966

Bit like the R100GS they have achieved cult status as one of the original RTW adventure bikes.  Bike mags tend to conform to what you expect to hear. Why mess with the folklore, and upset your readers. 
----AK-----

Chris Canning

Well I had two AT's a secondhand one of early 90's origin it was stolen and a brand new one in 97,if you don't go over 100 mph and you offroad etc it's by far the better bike and more importantly has a 21" front wheel that real offroaders need,that ain't folklore that's fact.

threepot

Think they were referring to road use? They did mention "off road credibility". Anyway,if they're that good,we're all riding the wrong bike!!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Chris Canning

Think yourself lucky the Americans never even got them,problem now is folk have wised up to how good they are and they cost a fortune,just the same with KTM's all serious offroaders come with 21" wheels,problem being they are even worse than a stock Tiger for turning but that's the price you pay for a big hoop at the front.

akendall1966

Not doubting the capabilities of an AT or they're not deservingly placed up there as one of the classic RTW bikes. Not having read the article, bit unfair to poke fun at the predictable conclusion, but one mans fun may be another's torture. 500 mile days on tarmac I'd rather be on a tiger, crossing Africa a well Prep's AT possibly, more likely something newer.
----AK-----