News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical Problem

Started by HockleyBoy, December 30, 2013, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Bike is running well but every now and then the clock resets its self to one o'clock. This is sometimes accompanied by the speedo trip meter resetting to zero. Can happen when the bike is parked or while I am riding it.

Am having no other issues and even if it happens whilst I am riding there are no other noticable problems.

Have checked and regreased all connections behind fairing and had the clock out for a look but all seems fine. Anyone had similar issues or any idea where to check next?

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Mustang

key switch wire harness or in the circuit board the wires attach to at the back of key switch .................. :nod

HockleyBoy

Thanks Mustang, will have a look there next.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

NortonCharlie

Sounds like your loosing the power at the battery.  Look to the battery terminals, and main fuse connections.  A friends Thunderbird would intermittently quit.  Started wiggling wires around and the battery terminal on the ground wire broke off.  Replaced it and all was good.  Good luck, intermittent problems are always the hardest to fix.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

NortonCharlie

BTW, that is all on the auxiliary fuse 10amp, same as the power outlet.  Haven't got my schematic in front of me but don't think that circuit goes to the ignition switch for anything.  It does power the heated grips though and they turn off with the ignition?  Now I am going to have to get out my schematics to see how that works.  Guessing the ignition circuit must power the relay or something.

BTW Happy New Year to all.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

HockleyBoy

Thanks for the suggestions, am going to have a look at the weekend. Will do a quick change of the fuse before anything else as it never hurts to start with the really simple things, then I guess its fairing off for a look at the ignition switch before starting to trace wires into the loom.
I will have a look at the heated grip relay (as it could be connected) whilst I am there as it corroded on my previous tiger which caused me other electrical problems.

Boo

Was playing with Kitty yesterday and I had the same thing. It was the fuse. Give that a good going over first as it's the easiest thing to do.You may be lucky.

HockleyBoy

Replaced the fuse, had a look at the ignition wires (no sign of corrosion), checked the heated grip relay and had a look at the wiring around the auxiliary socket but found nothing. Unfortunately I had the more pressing matter of stripping and cleaning the front brake calipers as they were sticking so didint get any further.

Clock was off again when I got the bike out to go to work this morning so looks like I will be back to it again next weekend  :icon_cry:

Bixxer Bob

Sorry mate, somehow I missed this one.  As the clock / trip is resetting it's not the ign switch, it's either:

A dirty contact on the speedo / accessories fuse (favourite)
An intermittent break in the purple wire going from the fuse to main connector block pin 8 behind the cowl. 

Failing that look for a problem with the red/green going from pin 8 on the connector to the clock / speedo.

It could also be a short to the frame on those wires too but that should blow the fuse so is unlikely.

If it was the 30A fuse / ign lock / battery wiring  the bike would cut out or at least miss a beat when it resets while riding.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Thanks Bob, that gives me some more to look for. I am suspecting a part break in one of the wires as it is intermitent (I have cleaned the fuse holder and replaced the fuse) but getting more frequent and also I have no problems with the way the bike runs. Knowing which colour wires to check will make life a whole lot easier.

Would like to get this sorted out before I begin the bigger job of fitting a new engine to Tiger number 1 (engine has been sitting on a pallet in the garage for a month now) as it has been bugging me for a while.

Bixxer Bob

You do mean you cleaned the accessories fuse not the 30A on the battery box???

First thing I would do is run a known good wire from the fuse to pin 8 (no need to strip the whole bike, just feed it under the tank.  As long as it's tucked out of the way it'll be fine).  If the prob goes away you know it's the purple wire.  If it doesn't you have to look elsewhere.  Saves a whole lot of time unwrapping the loom if you don't need to.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 07, 2014, 10:24:35 AM
You do mean you cleaned the accessories fuse not the 30A on the battery box???

I do

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 07, 2014, 10:24:35 AMFirst thing I would do is run a known good wire from the fuse to pin 8 (no need to strip the whole bike, just feed it under the tank.  As long as it's tucked out of the way it'll be fine).  If the prob goes away you know it's the purple wire.  If it doesn't you have to look elsewhere.  Saves a whole lot of time unwrapping the loom if you don't need to.

Sounds like a plan to me, will give it a go at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

HockleyBoy

Bob,
Finally got around to having a look and you were spot on. Purple wire was detached from the block as the connector had corroded. Quick bodge fix an I am back in business. Thanks for the pointer, saved me loads of time as I went straight to the right place. Also put some new Osram Nightbreakers in while I was there.

Finished off the afternoon by stripping the front brakes, putting in new seals and then fitting the GS hand guards that have been hanging around the garage. All in all a good afternoon.  :icon_biggrin:

Bixxer Bob