News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Reviving the Tiger

Started by dave NL, February 06, 2014, 09:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave NL

Really like the later style turn signal indicators, shaves off a couple of years imo
Getting the tiger back on the road.

Sin_Tiger

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Impressed, now go put your feet up and enjoy a Grolsch  :friday

Any chance you'll have it all sorted in time for a ride around Scotland in July, we've got lots of mountains :tempt:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

dave NL

Thx!

Drove it round the block a bit, heat up fase seems a lot shorter, throttle pick-up is ok, only need so sort the choke, it seems stuck with the remote lever. Bu hand it pushes in easily, maybe some tweeking to do.

Getting ready to overhaul the fork legs, need to suspend the bike first. Last thing will be the brakes, they still work ok, just needs cleaning, the rear caliper needs new pistons, they have some corrosion now, but not leaking.

Should be ready July!! Sounds like plan, never been to Scotland yet!!

dave NL

Quote from: ssevy on February 06, 2014, 11:15:13 PM
I am planning on installing the same Ricor Intiminator valves in my Tiger forks that I installed in my 99 Legend forks. They are a very clever design, and nearly eliminate all brake dive while leaving the suspension pliable for bump absorption. You mentioned you wanted to get rid of brake dive. This may be a pretty inexpensive way to get there.

Interesting, for now i`ll first overhaul the forks, a good clean, new oil, and the uprated springs will already make huge difference,,,, i expect. If this is acceptable i dont need to change anything, if not, then i know where im at before installing such valves.  When the dampening is to loose, probably i will first mix up some weights of oil  :icon_study:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: dave NL on February 08, 2014, 07:09:45 PM
Should be ready July!! Sounds like plan, never been to Scotland yet!!

Let's see if we can tempt you Applecross Ride
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

dave NL

Impressive pictures, perfect habitat for the tiger! I have to think about how to arrange this trip, for one weekend it seems a bit short for the journey i have to make. But its not July yet, if more people from this side of the pond go for the meeting weekend that would be better already.

Anyway, got the fork legs rebuild, new seals, new oil and the uprated multirate springs mounted. These springs came from sprint manufacturing, anybody got these?

Front brakes removed, cleaned, seals greased up with brake lube. New oil and bled. New rubber seal and screws for the reservoir. Rear brake is removed and disassembled. Maybe this evening rebuild it again, not a big job anyway. Only the brake fluid is annoying to clean :icon_confused:. The new brake fluid is Dot5.1  from motul, i still had two sealed bottles at home :icon_scratch:. Also have a bottle Dot 4, but was opened already for MTB brakes   :icon_biggrin:

Just a little more work to do, and the tiger is ready to for a real test round  :wheel

dave NL

The tiger is ready for the road again!

Rebuild and mounted the rear caliper, also renewed the oil of the clutch and fitted a new boot on the banjo and new diaphragm fitted.

The fairing fitted on the bike, was sort of a struggle, the plastic has shrunken quit a bit! Had to pull it in place and fit the bolts. Anyway got it in place. :icon_confused:

Tested the bike a little, im not paying road tax at the moment, so I cant take it out to far. The fork springs seem better, more in balance together with the Ohlins rear damper. Massive fork dive is not there anymore, but I do need to set the tyre pressure correctly first to get a real good feel of the steering response.

The shoke is sorted, although I didn`t do anything :icon_scratch:. The beast pulls like crazy, but seems to be a little lean on ¼ throttle. The pilot air screws are 2 turns out now, if it stays like this I will give it a ¼ turn more out.  :icon_study:

Some pics of today.

rybes

thats a lovely lookin bike you got there  :thumbsup
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

threepot

Nice. I like the seat cover. :thumbsup I like the sofa in the third pic. so you can sit and gaze!  :love10
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Geoff W

Very jealous of the seat. If you do come over for the Scotland trip, let me know , I can meet you off the Newcastle ferry if you need a guide.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

nickjtc

A little heads up about the outfit that makes the seat cover. When you ask for a quote for postage make sure you emphasise where you are. They gave me a quote, which was not unreasonable, but when I went to pay for the cover the postage had gone up by 70%. When I queried this they came back to me and said that they had given the original price in the wrong currency. However, they did revert back to the original price. And thank you to them for that. I am looking forward to getting what looks like a very nice item.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

dave NL

Thx fof all the positive respons!!

I also happy how the bike turned out!

After 2 years biting dust the bike needed a good clean and polish to get the cosmetics sorted. When the weather is better i will clean it a little more here and there (wheels).

I hope the seat cover keeps up after hours of driving, but so far so good. Hope no wrinkles will develop.

Newcastle, yes was looking for the ferry from ijmuiden, the price threw me off a little bit. Need some more research on this one. Would be great to ride together from there  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

Looks bl@@dy ffantastic  :love10

I can just imagine you and Geoff riding two red Steamers up the road, going to turn some heads.

You could always make it a longer trip if you can get the leave, we'll find you a bed somewhere or loan you a tent  :icon_mrgreen: