News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Filters in aux air box?

Started by JayDub, April 15, 2014, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

Can anyone tell me if the auxiliary air boxes are meant to have a plastic tube covered in thin foam inside when you remove the snorkel and cap?  Mine have, and are each held in place by a self tapping screw randomly placed, also someone has drilled 10mm holes all over one side of each. :icon_scratch:

nickjtc

Not as far as I can see in the manual..... Some riders who ride in very 'inclement' conditions have commented that it is a good idea given the less-than-ideal placement of the snorkels, adjacent to the rear wheel.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

No.

Some put a "Unifilter Pod" as a prefilter on the stub (the other side should be blanked) If you want a cheap prefilter use an old pair of your wife's tights, or your own if that's your thing  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

I`ll say yes!

I believe they are some sort of noise filter which are meant to keep the noise down.

I`m sure i`ve read that on here somewhere.

My left hand airbox has one fitted, though the right side with the cap fitted hasn`t got one.

rf9rider

Have a  look here.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/tpl/images/304195.jpg

11       PFKL1183310    CANISTER INTAKE SILENCER     

12       PFKL1183348    SILENCER.AIR INTAKE

Knew i was right  :augie

Mustang

Quote from: rf9rider on April 16, 2014, 01:50:30 AM
I`ll say yes!

I believe they are some sort of noise filter which are meant to keep the noise down.

I`m sure i`ve read that on here somewhere.

My left hand airbox has one fitted, though the right side with the cap fitted hasn`t got one.
:iagree yep that's what it is intake noise control
and only the uncapped side had it  just like rf9 says

Sin_Tiger

:icon_scratch: had 4 different boxes apart and found nothing inside, I've been short changed  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

most of the fools throw them away thinking they are gaining horsepower

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on April 16, 2014, 02:39:51 PM
Ha, in this case the fool added an extra one to the capped side - and another fool driiled holes in them! :icon_scratch:

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 16, 2014, 12:08:14 AM
No.

Some put a "Unifilter Pod" as a prefilter on the stub (the other side should be blanked) If you want a cheap prefilter use an old pair of your wife's tights, or your own if that's your thing  :icon_wink:
I would have to sacrifice my own as hers have more holes than the the foam inserts  :augie

JayDub

Quote from: rf9rider on April 16, 2014, 02:01:28 AM
Have a  look here.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/tpl/images/304195.jpg

11       PFKL1183310    CANISTER INTAKE SILENCER     

12       PFKL1183348    SILENCER.AIR INTAKE

Knew i was right  :augie
Nice one!! that's the one... but now I'm wonderin what item #6 is supposed to be :icon_scratch:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on April 16, 2014, 02:39:51 PM

So if I go around and collect all the thrown away ones I'll be able to add the hp back  :bad

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 16, 2014, 09:57:50 AM
:icon_scratch: had 4 different boxes apart and found nothing inside, I've been short changed  :icon_wink:
You can have one of mine Niall, I've got a spare  :icon_lol:

rybes

Nice one!! that's the one... but now I'm wonderin what item #6 is supposed to be :icon_scratch:
[/quote]

number 6 is a little rubber bung that goes into the frame to stop the airbox rattlin about

if you look just above the frame finisher with the 4 allen bolts in it, just to the left of the tank support theres a little black circle. thats number 6
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

JayDub