News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thunderbike crash bars owners

Started by wakdady, September 14, 2011, 05:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakdady

I could really use some up close pics of your installation.
I managed to pick up a set on ebay for a song! (i apologize to the person who I sniped to get them so cheap, lol).

But I can't figure out for the life of me how in the hell they are supposed to fit  :oops:

Mustang

easy ...remove the canister for the shock you will see three holes in the cylinder the uppers mount there

on the right side there are the same holes with plastic caps over them

on the bottom of the engine just about right below the crankshaft you should see some empty 8 mm holes on a lug .the bottoms mount there

they have a link on their website for mounting instructions , but it doesn't work  :oops:

keep in mind that they are mounted to the engine itself and a good enough hit could / can break the aluminum engine casings .

wakdady

yea, but i'm a pictures and diagrams kinda guy

Mustang

well they are pretty simple to install even without pics and diagrams , so if you can't figure it out you should just send them to me  :D  :D

NeilD

you could be really cheeky and do what i did,  send them an email and ask them to send the fitting instructions  :D  I've just checked my inbox but sadly didnt keep the instructions..  

they are a real PITA to fit, from memory mostly the lefthand side, despite removing the metal water pipe...

Mustang

Quote from: "NeilD"they are a real PITA to fit, from memory mostly the lefthand side, despite removing the metal water pipe...
shhh don't tell him , but socket head allen screws with a ball end wrench works pretty slick. don't forget the loc-tite . :D  :D  :D

97tiger885

Quote from: "wakdady"I could really use some up close pics of your installation.
I managed to pick up a set on ebay for a song! (i apologize to the person who I sniped to get them so cheap, lol).

But I can't figure out for the life of me how in the hell they are supposed to fit  :oops:

I remember the right bar being easy.  The left--not so much.  I think I still have the instructions somewhere.  Send me a snail mail address via PM.  If I have them, I will photocopy them and ship them to you.   Probably won't go out until Tuesday.

++++++++
Jon

D-Fuzz

I'm pretty sure if you look on the Thunderbike website, there is very good, step-by-step instructions linked to the bar page.  That is what I used when I got mine.  It isn't a tough process, just tedious.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Nick Calne

Just took the ones NeilD fitted back off!

The right one - easy.  Do it first.

The left one is a bugger.  It goes in the same position only you gotta take the shock reservoir off and the metal pipe for the coolant.  Which is annoying.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Colonel Nikolai

Here is a PDF of the instructions. I copied it long ago.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

wakdady

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Here is a PDF of the instructions. I copied it long ago.

you are most awesome good sir!
Those instructions are pretty funny btw

Colonel Nikolai

You are most welcome but I'm embarrassed to get any thanks, what, with the amount of people here who have helped me through nursing my bikes!

Maybe this PDF should be moved to Steamer Wisdom thread?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

nobody seems to read the sticky's anyway  :ImaPoser

nickjtc

Just a note, fwiw, that I can attest to the fact that Thunderbike crash bars do what they are supposed to do. At least, standing still. Out for the first ride of the season with the missis on the back. Come to a stop to park and she starts getting off before I have had a chance to stabilise the bike. So over we go on the left side. Crunch. Being a man of steel I was able to get the bike up with no help (har, har), to find zero damage to the sensitive bits (aka the plastic) and only minor scuffing to the crash bars themselves. Nothing that a bit of black Tremclad did not put right.

Note to self: at the very least put the side stand down before letting the missis get off!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

London_Phil

Two points from me.
My '95 Head has only one mount hole on each side, which may affect strength of mounting, BUT, I have dropped mine twice maneuvering around a restricted drive, and the bike just rolls on them. Worth the cost just for that..