News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger v new Sprint ST

Started by ChrisN, March 22, 2005, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

Having seen it in the shows and read all about it in the press, I kind of developed a quiet hankering for the sheer beauty of the thing. And having the Triumph badge certainly made me give it serious consideration as THE alternative ride to the Tiger. Having been offered a test ride filled me with excitement and a equally a dread that this may lead me further soul searching, but how could I refuse.

So I took the new Sprint ST out from my dealers unaccompanied for nearly an hour on Sunday. Using a good combination of A, B, and motorway roads, and I was mightily relieved to discover that whilst it is a fantastic bike, it does not make me want to trade the Tiger.

The engine, whilst crisp with the extra 100cc, isn't hugely different to the Tigers. The riding position is definitely a backward step for serious touring. All that pressure on the hands and wrists - for what? - the chance to become Rossi for relatively short spells. (OK, I knows it's fun - but for how long?)

I felt the Tiger could of course take some useful styling cues from the ST, namely the underseat exhaust, instrumentation, triple headlights, and not least the standard exhaust note together with the extra 100cc.

So whilst I enjoyed the test-ride experience I came away feeling I was already riding the right motorcycle for me, the Tiger. I know it's a partly familiarity but you can't beat that feeling when you get back on your own bike and ride along the same roads full of confidence wearing a big grin. I really hope Triumph bring out an all new 1050 Tiger next year, as I'm fairly confident that's the only queue I'll be joining.
Chris

TigerTim

same here

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

BP_LONDON

+1

The Sprint is a VFR killer, but not for me...

MikeB

Pretty much my experience too - did you try a new Speed Triple while you were at it? - That is fun!
------------------------------------------------

2005 Tiger - silver

1997 T\'Bird- black

Brock

I rode the Speed Triple and Tiger back to back a couple of times over the weekend and believe me...on crap roads the Tiger slays the Speed Triple.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

Blimey gents are we feeling a little insecure or what??? the two bikes are like chalk and cheese the very reason why i run two bikes a big traillie and a sports tourer there a world away from each other.

Chris

MikeB

I agree, no way the Speed Triple can replace a Tiger, nice backup though, Basically you need at least 3 bikes - hmmmm, I have 2 right now .......
------------------------------------------------

2005 Tiger - silver

1997 T\'Bird- black

trotts

Great Bike............is the ST, but once a Traillee rider always a Traillee rider !!  Upright, no aches and pains, sheer comfort.  That 1050 engine is bound to appear in the Tiger, 2006 or 2007, but for sure, it will come :D
Dave T

Brock

Insecurity doesn't come into it. Part of the demo route was a heavily pitted, undulating country road and the Tiger was by far the quicker bike. On perfect roads the Speed Triple would be in it's element. Horses for courses innit?
Chris

ChrisN

Hey Chris, we all need a reassuring hug from time to time and the best way to get one from your Tiger is to go test-ride another bike every now and again.  :wink:

(Unless, that is, you're lucky enough to own two different types of bike)
Chris

GlenWatt

I went up to the Triumph factory today the guy leading was on a new ST with the off road can fitted. It sounded wonderful.

They would not commit to a 1050cc lump going in the Tiger, but what would you expect.

Seemed like every other bike on the production line was either an ST or S3, trying to make headway into the pre-orders already taken.

There may be a new blue Tiger colour option coming, it looked very nice indeed.
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "MikeB"I agree, no way the Speed Triple can replace a Tiger, nice backup though, Basically you need at least 3 bikes - hmmmm, I have 2 right now .......

Three bikes? Hell, why stop there let's shoot for an even dozen.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Chris Canning

Hi Gents

What i was getting at,'If i drove a RangeRover then i wouldn't go and test drive a Porche Boxster and compare e'm.

As far as buying another bike??? I came to the conclusion years ago 90% of all bikes are sold and new u'ns bought because of the boredom factor setting in, thats why i bought two bike completely the opposite and have had them longer than anyother bikes in 30 odd years, going BM/Tiger is a doddle but Tiger/BM takes some settleing into i can tell you!!!.

Chris

Brock

Chris...chill out mate. There would be nothing wrong in comparing a Range Rover with a Boxster...so long as you accept they both have advantages and disadvantages. Life is about discovery...just because I love my Tiger it doesn't stop me trying other bikes and comparing them to what I've got. I just don't think it suggests I'm insecure. I don't have the budget to buy two bikes (or more) so I have to compromise. The Tiger is the best compromise I've come across yet, so I'm sticking with it.

Hey...let's all hug.
Chris

ChrisN

Quote from: "Chris Canning"What i was getting at,'If i drove a RangeRover then i wouldn't go and test drive a Porche Boxster and compare e'm.

That's an interesting analogy -  I used to drive a 4 litre Jeep Grand Cherokee, and prior to that another Jeep and two Shoguns. Three years ago I test drove an Audi TT 1.8 litre 225bhp and bought it - love it to bits and still own it.

But I still prefer the Tiger to the new Sprint ST.

Ok, Ok, I can almost hear you thinking " sell the effing TT and buy several bikes !!"

I suppose we all have different opinions, and any other way would just be boring.
Chris