News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam timing

Started by treacle885, May 03, 2014, 06:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treacle885

Hi everyone  :wave

I have recently done the valve clearances on my 97 steamer (called Treacle), unfortunately the engine was turned over and needed retiming. :BangHead
when I set up the cams the t1 mark is about 2mm past the centre of the crank sensor, is this normal? Moving the crank one tooth round takes the marks way out of alignment.
I will try and attach a picture of the timing marks.
My question is; will it run ok as it is? and if not what can I do about it?
Many thanks
Rob

Pembrokeshire
Wales

Mustang

1. the two arrows on the cams set to point to each other , the t1 mark should be aligned with the pick up sensor
2. the cam chain can have NO SLACK on the frontside
3. the chain needs to be coaxed around the intake cam at this point insuring that the chain stays taut on the frontside and over the two gears
4. all of the chain slack is taken up on the rear (adjuster side )

looks like you might have a tooth off on the crankshaft ...............

treacle885

Hi Mustang.
Thanks for the reply, Arrows on the cams are pointing to each other and parallel to the top of the casting, the t1 mark is as the picture below. I tried moving the crankshaft one tooth round but this put the t1 about 15 degrees out. the cam chain is tight and the cam chain tensioner has a new spring fitted. Everything seems ok apart from the t1 mark being 1.5-2mm out.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Rob

Pembrokeshire
Wales

ram33

do you know if it was like this before you started?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

treacle885

Hi there
I pulled the cams out may last year before a European tour, my wife then broke her ankle and I had to turn my attention to getting the car up to spec for the holiday.
I have finally got round to doing the bike for this years holiday, and if I am honest I can't remember. I set up the timing marks before pulling the cams out and don't recall them being out, but that was year ago!!!!

Cheers
Rob

Pembrokeshire
Wales