News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Doing the sasquatch mod and need some advice

Started by Taz shido, May 08, 2014, 07:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taz shido

I should have done the mod the FIRST time I had my charging system go down but didn't. I now have had a second R/R failure. The first time I cut out the connectors and soldered the wires together. My issue now is that since I had to cut my soldered connections apart to test the system and remove the stator and R/R I am not sure which wire is which phase coming from the stator.
Question #1. How can I find out which wire runs to which phase?
Question #2. Is it important to get each phase connected to the proper input wire to the R/R?
I'm not all that electrically smart but it seems to me that if I connect the stator to the R/R in the wrong phase to input that I could be creating a problem with a messed up wave form (spiked?). Because all three wires from the stator are yellow it doesn't give me a clue if this is important or not. And yes, I have reread everything I can find on this forum and can locate nothing on the importance of phase order.

I have not logged on to the forum in a while and I could not recover my old user name but I was formerly known as tazshido.

rex007can

Question #1. How can I find out which wire runs to which phase?

Phases go into the RR in no particular order.

Question #2. Is it important to get each phase connected to the proper input wire to the R/R?

No.

Phases happen sequentially, it doesn't matter order you receive them in, combined they line up the same way.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

tazshido

Thanks, I was thinking probably that way but it's nice to hear someone else agrees.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

rex007can

I just know because I had to look it up and do it 2 weeks ago.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

tazshido

Where the heck did you find the info? I've been searching the web for three days with no luck. Seriously, I must have visited 40 websites and read 100 pages and couldn't find anything!  :BangHead
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

Sin_Tiger

:iagree as the three phase,  or even single phase,  is converted to DC the input order and rotation of the phases is of no importance. Just so long as all three phases are there and are reasonably balanced. The output from the RR is the critical factor.

That's electricians for you  :icon_mrgreen:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tazshido

Re-installed my original (stock) stator as it turned out it was still good. Installed a new Shindengen R/R with the Sasquatch mod and I'm getting a solid 14.2 volts at the battery at idle. The headlights seem brighter and everything is working properly. Thanks for everybody's help. Time to ride as soon as the snow (yes SNOW) melts.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis