News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head off help

Started by 97tiger885, June 12, 2014, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I have reached the point where the cams have been removed.  Only casualties are some cam cap bolts. 

How do I remove the shims?  And what are the tappets?

I am following the  Triumph service manual.  The instructions are "Remove the tappets and shims..."

Please don't tell me I should have used Mustang's tool before removing the cams.

97tiger885

A magnet and small screwdriver did the job.

nickjtc

Mustang's tool (or the factory one) are only used to get the shims out when the cams are not going to be removed. As you have discovered.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

You can either remove as said above with a small screwdriver,or pull the bucket up with a small magnet,then prize them out. Remember to coat the bucket ,and all contact surfaces with fresh oil when replacing. I'm currently doing them on my Super3. I bought a set of surgical picks,but they are not the best quality,hence the tops could break off and leave a nasty piece of metal under the shim..be careful.
There are no tappets. The valves are opened directly by the camshaft and shims.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on June 12, 2014, 11:05:31 PM
Mustang's tool (or the factory one) are only used to get the shims out when the cams are not going to be removed.
Is this tool really needed, or like with most other bikes is it possible with pieces of metal bar/screwdrivers etc and some fiddling about?

threepot

Tool not needed now the cams are out. Only need it if you only need to change a couple of shims. I bought one,but all my inlets need changing. Easier to take cam out,and you can then check the guides,tensioner etc. But I can use it again to change maybe 1 or 2. Check the Tigers next.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

97tiger885

The head is off.  One major mistake.  We will see if that has any lasting effect.

Here is what the pistons and valves look like.  Next step should be....?-

-

MC has 35000 miles.  Is this acceptable carbon buildup?

Do I pull the liners or is there other work to do first?

threepot

I'm no expert,but looks a bit of a mess. I'd strip down and give a good clean. Has bike had regular oil changes??
There's loads of stuff on carbon build up on the net. Worth checking out.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ram33

make sure to mark the liners so you know which came from where and which way it faced - same with pistons
i would check the piston rings for wear as well cos it looks a bit oily
why did you need to remove the head?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Quote from: ram33 on June 13, 2014, 10:49:41 PM
make sure to mark the liners so you know which came from where and which way it faced - same with pistons
i would check the piston rings for wear as well cos it looks a bit oily
why did you need to remove the head?

The head gasket was leaking coolant.  We has a couple of nights with temps below 10F in Jan.  A puddle of coolant was setting under the bike both mornings.  Started it up.  White smoke and seepage.  Shut it off and shut it down. 

The BMW just went down a week ago,  failed seal in the oil/water pump.  Cheap fix but  3 running bikes in Jan; 0 now.  Decided time to shut down the BMW.  Replacing it with a  2012 BMW 650GS.   That gives me 1 reliable low maintenance  mc for the next several years.  Getting tomorrow. Then it is  back to getting the Triumph running.  The Trident was supposed to be the reliable replacement for the Tiger.   Oh, well...

97tiger885

I plan to pay someone to clean the head and valves.  Will this require removing the valve guides?  And if so, can guides be  reused or do I need to replace them?  And do the old valves need to go back in place or can they go back anywhere (recognizing there are probably intake and exhaust valves)?

Mustang

The guide s are not removable or replaceable
The valves NEED to go back in the hole they came out of.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: 97tiger885 on June 17, 2014, 02:07:18 AM
Replacing it with a  2012 BMW 650GS.   That gives me 1 reliable low maintenance  mc for the next several years.  Getting tomorrow. Then it is  back to getting the Triumph running.  The Trident was supposed to be the reliable replacement for the Tiger.   Oh, well...

I'd recommend trying out a Tiger 800/XC (back to back with the BM if you can) before you push the button on the 650, you might be able to save a few dollars or more in the long run.

You've had some bad luck there but many of us have been down the same road and can share your pain  :BangHead
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ram33

you only need a valve spring compressor to do it yourself
i would also change the valve seals while its stripped for peace of mind
make sure the springs are returned the right way round (tight coils down)
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 17, 2014, 10:32:01 AM

I'd recommend trying out a Tiger 800/XC (back to back with the BM if you can) before you push the button on the 650, you might be able to save a few dollars or more in the long run.

You've had some bad luck there but many of us have been down the same road and can share your pain  :BangHead

I have ridden the 800s.  Very nice, but I wanted smaller and lighter.  The best choices were the DR650, the KLR650, the G650GS and the Versys.   Luck more than anything dictated the GS.  It was available and turnkey.  It has the bags and the centerstand.   All I need is to copy the keys and wire and mount the GPS.

The Trident/Tiger will be bike number 1 when  I get it running.  The T/T-650GS will be a good combination for me.  The T/T and the Tiger 800 are too similar.