News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 Tiger 955i stepper motor help

Started by nigeh, July 22, 2014, 07:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Blimey I've had loads of shims in mine.

Bixxer Bob

You should be able to achieve steps 20, so yes, ride it - at least 30 miles.  What is your long term fuel trim?  Should be about 4.18.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nigeh

I will take her for a spin next day or so if I get the chance.  LTFT is 4.0%

Will post back up when run her for 30 miles or so.

Cheers again for your help.
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Bixxer Bob

You could try bumping it up a bit, nearer to 4.18 and see how it goes.  With more fuel in you should be able to bring up the steps to where they should be.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nigeh

Cheers, will raise it a little before the test ride.

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

Finally got to ride bike today for 30 miles, even treated it to SP98 petrol!

So I upped the FTFT to 4.2 and set the stepper to 25.  I ran bike up to temp first and blipped her a few times and with each blip I watched the stepper reading drop down from 25 and it settled at 17! 

Went for a ride and tickover was up at 2100 rpm.  Bike did seem to run OK-ish all be it when I first started it up it was spluttering a fair bit but that soon cleared.  In 'simulated' town riding i.e low speed riding in 2nd/3rd gear the spluttering and snatching has gone but it is still not right!

Tried some 'hard' acceleration in 2nd and 3rd from around 3000 rpm and pulled cleanly but then tried some 5th/6th gear acceleration from around 45 mph and it stuttered a bit before pulling away.

When I got back I connected laptop up again and noticed that the stepper had set itself to 7!

As I fitted a new stepper is there a procedure I should have done, when fitting it, to set it to the correct level or should the ECU sort this out, obviously it isn't or it would not keep changing.  Each time the engine temp was around 100 give or take a little and whilst I appreciate it will change to adjust the air flow it seems to be all over the place and never stays at the same setting for a set engine temp!

I also noticed, in the diagnostic screen of TuneECU, that when I blipped the throttle the TPS reading sometimes did not move and when it did it only jumped up to a very low reading, say 16 then dropped back but next time I blipped the bike the TPS dial did not move!!!  Would that indicate a faulty sensor?  I have had trouble with this three years ago but then it was just the connection and the symptoms were that at around 85 mph ish the bike kept cutting in and out, not great in the outside lane of the motorway!!  Eventually it got so bad that the Engine light came on which was great as at least it showed it to be a fault in the TPS that Triumph tracked to the connection on the sensor.

Anyway any further input would be gratefully received as getting bit hacked off with it now and looks like I am going to have to check those shims that I do not really want to do until I have got all the other settings correct! :icon_mrgreen:

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Stitch

And you are sure there isn't a vacuum leak? Having the IACV (Stepper motor) trim to 0 is usually a tel-tale sign of a vacuum leak. Silicon hose to replace the corrugated lines is a inexpensive thing to do in your situation (including the line back to the ECM where the MAP sensor is).
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

nigeh

Hi Stitch

I did make sure I checked all the convoluted pipes from the stepper to the inlets and the one back to the ECM and I could not see anything and I had them all off to check but I will, as you suggest, change the pipes as they are 9 years old now so for the sake of it I will give it a go.  Can't buy anything today as France pretty much 'sleeps' all day Sunday  :icon_mrgreen:

Will report back soon

Cheers

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Bixxer Bob

Did the tickover drop to normal as the stepper trimmed down?

nigeh

It did drop down but at 17 it was still too high and after the ride when it had dropped to 7 it was still a little high and when I blipped it it went back up to around 1700 rpm

I am in the middle of messing with it now but getting a bit  :BangHead with it!!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

No matter what I change the settings to I still have an erratic tick-over and a 'spluttering' when blipping the throttle!

On reading even more posts on t'interweb I read that the inlet manifold gaskets can be an issue so while ticking over I sprayed brake cleaner around the gasket and each time the tick-over increased so I now have the inlet manifold off and although there are no obvious signs the gasket is not in the best condition so will have to get a new one of those.

I also read that there is an 'o' ring behind the TPS but looking at the micro-fiche on the triumph parts site there is no mention of one! Perhaps there is on a daytona 955i?? 

I was considering putting a new TPS on but it seems to be OK.  The voltage on the TPS at tickover is 0.55v and when engine is revved I saw it go up to 1.4v ish so that seems to be working.

Still the saga continues!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Bixxer Bob

Yup, the gaskets do leak, AESDJ had his go recently.  Part of the problem is the chocolate torx screws that Triumph used.  Replace them with good quality stainless steel hex socket (allen) screws.  Be careful not to round the torx heads as you remove them because, as I said, they're soft.  I did a "how to" on the subject:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rmd6cipopsa9g84quar9n0qdc5;topic=6777.msg44959#msg44959

If you can read the throttle position in TuneECU with the engine off but ign on then TPS is working BUT if it had a scratchy track in the internal pot then you'll only see that using an oscilloscope, that's how I found mine. 

Fix the gasket and balance the TBs first though, there's a good chance that's where the problem lies.

nigeh

Thanks BB

I will get some replacement bolts and make sure I use those.

Last time I even looked at an Oscilloscope was just before the old King died, whilst I was at school!!!!  That sort of device is far too techie for me!  :icon_mrgreen:

Only pain here is the nearest Triumph stealer is an hour away but still quicker than ordering one from England, as I normally do, but in a rush this time as while I am still in the mood to try and fix it rather than torch it I will keep plodding on!!

Will report back soon.

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

Going to be a slight delay as our French cousins don't have the gasket in stock BUT they can get it for next Wednesday!!

Told them to forget it I will order from England as should get it faster but still wont be until early next week!!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Bixxer Bob

Even with the paper gasket, I still used gasket goo.  With modern goo I'm not sure you actually need the paper bit?