News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 Tiger 955i stepper motor help

Started by nigeh, July 22, 2014, 07:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Actually at Le-Mans rode done yesterday from Caen as the Thursday night boat to St Malo is kaput,coffee at Domfront and then down to Mayenne and then a trip around the back roads.

With a bike that runs great when it's cool and really gets it's knickers in a twist when hot!!

Junction 7 Scott Arms

nigeh

you should have popped in for a brew!!!
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

Update!

I took bike in today and bottom line is the mechanic seems fairly certain I have a faulty coil!

I have ordered a new one and will commence the 'coil shuffle' as soon as it arrives which will not be until middle of next week if I am lucky!!

So fingers crossed that is the problem.

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

Final UPDATE.....hopefully!

The new coil arrived the other day and I got round to working on the bike yesterday.  I decided to go for the middle coil first as when this all kicked off I vaguely remember doing the 'wet finger' test on the header pipes and thinking that the middle pipe was not as hot as the outside two!!  I put this down to a dodgy spark plug and never checked it again.

Looks like I was in luck as no need for the 'coil shuffle' the NEW coil was fitted on the middle plug and she runs like a beaut now  :hat10

Went for a 60 mile ride this afternoon and is great.  Rode her down to 25 mph at 1500 rpm in 6th gear and would pull smoothly from there no hesitation or spluttering.

I am now a happy bunny and would like to say thanks to all those who posted their thoughts/advice especially BB and MG, many thanks.

Bike is now running better than it has for a long time so well worth all the parts I have changed over although could have done without the £350 outlay as could have got away with just a coil but hey-ho should run for another 42,000 miles now!

Cheers  :icon_salut:

www.maisonlaudiere.com

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Chasing a Multistrada on that road from Sees to Domfront blimey now that would be good fun  :icon_biggrin:

nigeh

Thanks John

It has been a fairly long slog to get to the bottom of it but have to say I now know the bike well just have the following to do over the winter:

Change anti-freeze
Change brake fluid front and rear (boiled back brake on a pass in Italy so needs doing  :hat10)
Replace header pipe gaskets
Change springs in forks for harder ones and heavier fork oil as dives way too much!!
Service brake calipers all round

And bound to be other stuff but would like to start on renovation of my 1988 CR500 as been promising myself to start that for last three years now!!

Chris... I am always chasing a multistrada as mate has a 1200S which is why I am always looking for extra ponies for the old Tiger!!  I wish it was just a case of changing the cams for the daytona 955i to unleash power up to 140 bhp ish but sadly not!!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

Chasing a Multi with a stock Tiger blimey  :icon_eek:

nigeh

It's all about the 'twisties' and thankfully as we have been touring together for more years than I care to remember and both riding for 32 years our riding is pretty similar so it is only on the really fast straight bits I struggle!  The other two bikes I tour with are a 2011 Fireblade and a 2013 675 Daytona so it is always fun when we hit the Alps, Pyrenees or any other passes and we have the gopro footage to show it  :hat10

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

Sadly you have the later bike so I can't help.

nigeh

Chris does that mean you have the technology to make older ones go faster???  If so any tips for my 2005 version would be good to hear!!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

Sadly not,to compete against a 17 wheeled bike you need one and that's not possible(well I don't it is!) with the later bike(earlier yes) but springs 15wt and a decent shock will go an awfull long way,my encounters with Multistrada's have always been favourable but that's my 10 years of setting the bike up against what a man thinks you want at the factory suspension wise at the push of a button.

There's little point in me going into my drama over the years with my aftermarket rear shock :icon_scratch:, and ultimately you can't get the motor to produce another 20hp because in real terms it's not lots more than that but there's loads you can do with your tiger suspension wise.

nigeh

I did meet a guy who told me he had finally sorted his Tiger out and it was all about suspension!!  He had spent £1500 on it, ouch!!

I have just put a 'newer' stock rear unit on as mine had done 42000 miles and the one I have just fitted has done about 8000 so must be better and I plan to do mods to the forks as stated in earlier post so let's see what that does!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

I've got Ohlins front fork spring 15wt and more than the stock quantity with a Ohlins on the rear that's now on it's second spring and 5th revalve and hindsight being the wonderfull  thing that it is I'd have gone to Maxton right at the beginning.

Chris Canning

Quote from: nigeh on October 05, 2014, 07:25:48 PM
Final UPDATE.....hopefully!

The new coil arrived the other day and I got round to working on the bike yesterday.  I decided to go for the middle coil first as when this all kicked off I vaguely remember doing the 'wet finger' test on the header pipes and thinking that the middle pipe was not as hot as the outside two!!  I put this down to a dodgy spark plug and never checked it again.

Looks like I was in luck as no need for the 'coil shuffle' the NEW coil was fitted on the middle plug and she runs like a beaut now  :hat10

Went for a 60 mile ride this afternoon and is great.  Rode her down to 25 mph at 1500 rpm in 6th gear and would pull smoothly from there no hesitation or spluttering.

I am now a happy bunny and would like to say thanks to all those who posted their thoughts/advice especially BB and MG, many thanks.

Bike is now running better than it has for a long time so well worth all the parts I have changed over although could have done without the £350 outlay as could have got away with just a coil but hey-ho should run for another 42,000 miles now!

Cheers  :icon_salut:

Just as a matter of record when Bixxer looked at mine last weekend the screen shot said middle coil ordered one fitted this morning only ran the bike up for 30 seconds to realise it was a Eureka moment  :icon_biggrin: so it it pure luck or is the middle coil prone?