News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

finialy got one

Started by tims007, July 25, 2014, 07:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tims007

7-20-14
ok so ever since i laid eyes on a triumph tiger i have always wanted one .. and not the 1050 version .. now the new ones are sexy but there is something about the older ones that makes me giddy.. so i was checking out the classifieds on craigslist and i saw one .. cheap .. salvage title .. and in great condition .. no scratches on anything except the exhaust muffler and the crash bars .. whoot only 36000 miles
so i said woah and my wife said "what" i showed her and she said " if you want it ill make it happen " so now i have a second triumph to add to the stable

a few moar pics.... she is settling into her new home nicely now .. and getting along with the other girls in the stable ... ( lol harem) .... cant wait to restart exploring the landscape again ... it's been to long without a dualsport

7-24-14
well i tore into the bike today .. got the front end aligned just right .. but i found a leaking fork seal ... when disassembling the forks i found a compression crack on the fork body and its a bad one .. but rather than rebuild them and hope that the crack holds back everything and doesn't blow out .. for the same price as rebuilding i bought a newer set that has already been rebuilt and is in perfect condition .. so once they arrive they will get put in and i should be back on the road again

Stitch

Nice stable of Triumphs! Bummer on the cracked fork. You may want to check into emulators/springs depending on the rebuilt set you sourced. I couldn't stand the oringinal fork setup and am much happy with 15w fork oil, emulators, & straight weight springs.

2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

tims007

it happens .. it does have a salvage title .. and yeah ill see how the new forks feel first .. then later if i want to "change " them up i have a few suspension builders locally that can help me out on setting it up .. the red st has an ohlins rear and racetech front .. i like it alot but i don't need a firm ride like the st.. i just want a cadillac ride .. pillowy soft .. but with the ability to flogg it hard

Chris Canning

Quote from: tims007 on July 28, 2014, 08:31:31 AM
i just want a cadillac ride .. pillowy soft .. but with the ability to flogg it hard

Let us know how you get on,I've spent the last 15 years with 3 tigers and no end of money/time/effort spent and the bottom line you can have one or the other,but if you do go for the Cadillac ride then decide to flog it hard be prepared to end up in the hedge  :icon_wink:

tims007

the ohlins i have on the st allows me to have perfect one up street suspension with a quick adjustment i can be set up for track use or two up with gear lol ... on the back end the front stays the same ... i dont want to throw $$$$ at this bike because if i do i will end up sending it to EDR in beaverton oregon for a full work up and that would probuibly cost $10k and i dont have that lol  but if i did can you say powaaaaaaaa and perfect suspension lol  :wheel  be cheaper to buy a ktm jk jk 

tims007

well i got the EBAY forks in the mail today .. one was shorter than the other .. but they were in really good condition .. so i decided to tear the short one apart and then tear the broken / cracked one apart to just switch the lower body over .. well i couldn't get the damn things apart so i dook it to my local motorcycle mechanic who is an awesome mechanic and is super busy .. i walked in and placed them in his shop and walked away .... he knew what to do lol .... oye why do things not behave .. anywho im gladd i bought them new ones even if it was not a direct bolt on because oil started leaking from that crack just from sitting in the shed..

tims007

Got the forks rebuilt and made right .. put them in and we'll the tripple tree is suspect to be bent so i got another one from eBay after verifying that the bike they came off was not in a accedent .. so once those arrive I will put them on and hopefully the handle bars (which are aftermarket) will finialy be strait. .. i cave removes a crap tactic load of wiring done by who me ever at a poor attempt to add heated grips that were never installed so got rid of that
.whilst going through the rest of the wiring I have found a bunch of weird stuff .. now if it is the wiring upgrade that was done or if it was someone playing hackey hack with the wires I don't know ..I'll try to take some pics so yall can see and perhaps give me an idea on what someone was thinking ... i am tempted to buy a used wiring harness and then take that harness and replace each wire with new one wire at a time and that way I have a new harness that has all the un needed crap removed and also upgrade the wiring ... idk maybe some other time but yeah someone played with this bike lol and I'm having fun fixing it

Sin_Tiger

Take your time removing the "optional" wiring in case is been an aftermarket alarm system  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tims007

Well I got the new tripple tree today .. had it on with in 15 min of opening the package .. everything lines up perfectly FINIALY ..before I put them on i put them and the old ones on a piece of glass .. this one had less wobble that the old ones you could feel the difference ...

The wiring I took of so far is just someone's crappy job of a tempting to install heated grips
So far that's all

tims007

Well I thought everything lined up perfectly ..turns out these ones were off also but in the other direction ..couldn't Realy tell till I got it on the road ..so i took the whole front off and checked everything out ..turns out the original ones were not as off as I thought .. so i put that back on and then clamped a 4 foot crow bar in the made bar area and then wedged some wood through the crash bars for something for me to push against as I forced the front end into alignment ... loosened everything up to make sure there was no binding then forced it a smidgen again as I had another person tighten the tripple tree down .. i got it finialy strait .. oye what a day .. but I got everythibg back together again ..

Brakes are a smidgen spongy buy I know what I need to do to fix that .. I'm going to do a high fender home made kit as I know someone who likes to machine things ..

And soon I will be out on the road doing some rides ..

Thinking I will just eather message the eBay seller and see if I can get a refund on thier shitty bent parts or do something with them ...

Sin_Tiger

If ye seller has actually stated that they are undamaged or straight or similar wording, tye you should be covered under "not as described" , Best of luck. Glad you actually managed to sort it yourself.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tims007

I put a straight edge under the tripple trees and sent him a pic as he asked ..with in 20 seconds I got a full refund and he said to throw away the "crap" he sent me as he doesn't want it back lol.. so i have a spare tripple tree to throw away

mark_s

Quote from: tims007 on September 15, 2014, 12:31:38 AM
I put a straight edge under the tripple trees and sent him a pic as he asked ..with in 20 seconds I got a full refund and he said to throw away the "crap" he sent me as he doesn't want it back lol.. so i have a spare tripple tree to throw away

if the pair on your bike were twisted and the pair you brought were twisted and the pair on my bike were twisted then it must not be that uncommon.

Do you have any damage to your steering stops on the front of the steering head?

tims007

Nope no damage to the stops.... everything checks out fine on it .... I'm not going to strip the bike down as there was no visible damage or marks on anything else except the forks and tripple tree ..

cba191

Quote from: tims007 on September 13, 2014, 11:49:34 AM
.. I'm going to do a high fender home made kit as I know someone who likes to machine things ..

If you come up with something, I may be interested in the bracket as well, if possible.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce