News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Free power..............

Started by KuzzinKenny, August 11, 2014, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KuzzinKenny

well almost  :icon_smile:

if yer like me and can only get out on yer bike now and again or need to rest it up for a while this is what i did...............

i bought 1 of these.......

http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Light-Sound/Solar/M174-Solar-charging-regulator-Dual-16-A.php

and 1 of these (you can get a larger one to the max of the regulator)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10W-12v-Energy-Solar-Battery-Charger-TUV-ISO-UK-Polycrystalline-2Kg-/261556829710?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3ce6007e0e

i run a large battery off it as well as charging the Tigger, it powers me alarm, laptop (music and Tuneecu) over the winter i dont need to go in the shed but i do  :icon_lol:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

nickjtc

Erm, but is there any sun thereabouts.....???

Just, kidding. Honest.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Interesting stuff. I was only wondering the other day whether it would be possible to build a top box with a solar film panel on the top to trickle charge the bike/phone/ sat nav etc...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: nickcalne on August 11, 2014, 02:56:02 PM
Interesting stuff. I was only wondering the other day whether it would be possible to build a top box with a solar film panel on the top to trickle charge the bike/phone/ sat nav etc...

The flexible solar panels are about twice the price but if ya got deep pockets go for it !! they are not as heavy so probably the best option  :icon_smile:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biard-10W-Semi-Flexible-solar-Panel-12V-For-Battery-Charging-RV-Boat-Caravan-/161391991191?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item2593b65997

i have no connection with any of these company's !! just sayin !!

KK

ps now ya got me thinkin about solar panel topbox  :icon_lol:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Nick Calne

Oh dear I think we are both about to spend some money!

blacktiger

Quote from: nickcalne on August 11, 2014, 02:56:02 PM

I just use the bikes charging system. And recharging a phone from the bike's battery won't drain it. The only advantage to something like that would be when camping in remote areas.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Nick Calne

That's no fun!! 

In seriousness, I think it is an interesting 'aside' rather than a serious mod at this stage, but then isn't that what most renewables projects are like?  They certainly tend to start like that.

FWIW I like the idea of having power in the top box and having phones, cameras etc charge up in relative security.  (See my other recent posts on top box security to see me contradict myself here!) I like the idea of this charging being via renewables.  Certainly when we all went to Scotland I was always searching for a plug to ensure the phone (which also is my camera, music and link back to my two businesses) was charged.  Sin dubbed me "Nick the Plug" at one point.  I have since bought a suitable charger (12v and 5v!) and wired it through to the top box, but I still think the solar option is interesting, self-contained and 'detachable'.

It is particularly interesting if it could trickle charge the bike battery too.  In fact I am quite interested in designing an entire luggage system that wasn't just super-expensive, poncy, sharp-edged, metal boxes!  I wonder could the tank and fairings also be solar panels and charge the bike.  In the future will such stuff charge a hybrid or electric bike?   :sign13  Could super thin graphene solar film panels on your helmet power (or charge the system of) a head up display / intercom / radio / noise cancelling system?

Hmm...

All ideas are (c) 2014 Nick the Plug Products Ltd.

blacktiger

Quote from: nickcalne on August 15, 2014, 05:28:44 PM
I wonder could the tank and fairings also be solar panels and charge the bike.  In the future will such stuff charge a hybrid or electric bike? 

I've thought for quite a while that all these car makers that are pushing electric cars at us are only playing at it. Otherwise why aren't the cars covered in solar panels that can charge the batteries both as it's going along and when it's parked?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Some do. I think tesla do it.

abcwarrior

I think I may well be spending money soon  :icon_biggrin:
I use a smaller one on my Subaru, tbh it isn't much cop but helps a little.
the one in your post looks a lot better.

opps just bought one off ebay lol
now to get the regulator when I come back off my hols lol
2001 Girly

KuzzinKenny