News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Corbin seat stuck

Started by Ron in Buffalo, August 11, 2014, 06:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron in Buffalo

I have a 1999 tiger. I but a Corbin seat on it after I got it over 2 yrs ago and 10k miles ago. It's always been a lil' difficult. The latch was stiff and didn't want to latch. So I oil the latch and now it is stuck and I can not get the seat off any suggestions would be appreciated. Ron

SilverTiger

I'm not sure if the 1999 Tiger seat latch arrangement is the same as my 2006 Girly, where you undo the latch by turning the ignition key in a hole just below the seat on the left side panel.  Personally I have never liked this set up and have worried many times that the key might snap off leaving me in a pile of ***t  :bug_eye
Anyway, I have found that it turns much more easily if you sit on the seat and then turn the key, it takes a lot of the strain out of it.  So my suggestion is to find someone heavy and sit them on your bike, if it has the same set up.  Good luck.
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

NortonCharlie

What he said,  or put a little tension on the key and smack the passenger part of the seat like you were try to latch something a bit to tight.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Ron in Buffalo

Thanks for your input however seat is still stuck. I notice the lock that the key goes in is more vertical than horizontal some how it looks like it has moved. So any suggestions what my next step I should try? Ron

SilverTiger

Hello Ron.  Does the key actually turn in the lock?  Or does it twist / has it twisted the whole lock around?  I just took a look at mine (2006 model.)  The key is almost horizontal when you stick it in the keyhole, right side slightly down compared to left.  The actual latch mechanism is just under the rear lip of the pillion seat but in front of the tail piece of bodywork.  Just in case the latch has seized up you could try squirting some WD40 or something similar under the back of the seat, using the thin tube attachment.  The only time my seat has been difficult to undo is when I have put too much stuff underneath it and forced the seat piece on by banging it hard above the latch.  This puts an excessive load/friction on the catch, but a few hard hits with the fist as you turn the key have always worked for me when removing the pillion seat.  Have you got some extra stuff under your seat?  Did you have to force it on?  Just a thought.  Ian.

SilverTiger

... and I just re-read your original post  :icon_frown:  You have already lubed up the latch mechanism.  I hope the lock hasn't been twisted round and disconnected or broken the linkage that releases the catch.  I would have thought the key would break first.  You could try squeezing something under the back of the seat lip and flipping the catch, while having someone turning the key and bashing the back of the seat down with their fist.  Dunno if there's a way of getting at the catch from the underneath, could be worth a look.  I suspect that you have a disconnected or broken linkage from the keyhole or a seriously jammed catch from forcing the seat on.  Whatever you do, be careful when turning that key, you'll be mighty upset if that snaps.  Good luck, I know how maddening these things can be.  Ian

Ron in Buffalo

Ian thanks for your response. I got a feeling that the lock is twisted around and I hope I don't have to get under it  til winter to fix it. I can hear the mechanism when I turn the key. Normally turn the key and hit the passenger part of the seat it pops up. I tried turning the key while I was sitting on the bike it appears to be stuck. Ron

Sin_Tiger

I've seen a similar thing on a friends bike, not Triumph. The key mechanism had twisted enough to limit the travel of cable lever preventing the lock catch fully opening.

Fortunately we were able to see how the mechanism operated from another bike and then used a flat blade under the seat edge to push the cable enough to release the seat.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

SilverTiger

Ron, what a ****ing nuisance.   Maybe you could try what Sin suggested.  Or, do you know a decent burglar?

Ron in Buffalo

Well guys here the solution on getting the seat off. Loosen the side cover on the left side so you can get to the torx bolts that hold the lock on. Take lock off pull the cable and the seat comes off.  I found out the spring came out of the holder put the spring back in it works as good as ever. Ron

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint