News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I seem to have misplaced a volt.

Started by cba191, August 16, 2014, 08:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cba191

The old girl was flawless in Alaska.  Even when running  a heated jacket with heated gloves, in addition to the gps, and the LED lighting I was getting well over 13v.  I get home, and replace the steering head bearings and redo the connectors to the turn signals.  That's it.  I put everything back together, and now even at 4k rpm it won't hit 13v.  And that's without the heated gear. 
Any ideas?  I have the compufire rectifier and the sasquatch mod.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Bixxer Bob

Had to look up Compufire, it seems to be a MOSFET.  Does it have a battery sensing lead and if so did you re-connect it?

Not much else to suggest, clearly something is not the same as it was.  I'd check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter first to verify the gauge is not lying.  If it is, suspect the gauge connections.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

Really weird. Went riding to do something, and after an hour, it's all good. It's the compufire 55402. Something called a series regulator. Supposedly it's awesome. I can't disagree. But now with everything, I'm seeing good voltage. 

cba191

....and it's all wonky again....

on the ride home all good.  13-13.9 voltage. Then, all of a sudden, less than 12v.  I don't get it.

Bixxer Bob

Clearly you have a poor connection somewhere, but you knew that.  The clever bit is finding it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

I just tested the stator at the connector.  I'm only getting about 3-5 volts at idle and still less than 10 at 5k.

Bixxer Bob

cba191

Bixxer Bob

Result!  I like results, always better when you find something definite  :thumbsup

AndyandTiger

Hi, I'm a novice at the electrics side of things but I assume the black looking parts of the stator are fried? I've been having an intermittent issue with my charging system and can't seem to work out where the issue is. Pulling the cover off and checking the stator was going to be my next check.
The Electrex World guide is handy too by the looks of it...will follow the path on the weekend.
Andy

cdubya

hey cba.
i'm in the same position. my stator looks like yours. fitted a 55402 R/R as well hoping to prolong my stock stator with about 39,000 miles on it.
she took a dive last week while i was headed out on a 6 day trip. limped the 300 miles home.
hoping i haven't damaged the R/R and that all will be well with a new stator.
did you mount your compufire in the stock position? i did but i'm thinking about relocating it to a spot with better air flow.
06 Girly

cba191

I mounted it in the stock location.  It's working pretty well.  I don't know where else to put it.

Bixxer Bob

With a little fettling and an extra bracket you can turn the reg rec through 90 degrees and get the air flowing through it instead of round it  :thumbsup