News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Washing the Tiger

Started by Debrucy, March 31, 2005, 05:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Debrucy

Hello there,this may seem like a silly question....but whats the beat thing to wash the Tiger down with after ive had the bike through the muck....is soap and water ok..or does anybody have any tips...thanks.....and i still cant find a center stand anywhere for my Tiger.

Derek

Tiger 96

Amsterdam

greg

Give it a good hose down with water first, if you use a pressure washer don't get too close as the water can get into wheel bearings etc. Don't use washing up liquid, use a car shampoo, or pay 10,000 times more for a 'special' bike wash formula. The only bike specific stuff I use is degreaser for the rear wheel, and under the engine, and after washing and final hosing I spray on Scottoiler F365, or use WD40 (Take care with either near your brakes, I cover the discs with plastic bags).

Your Tiger will go much faster if you use a top quality polish on it four times a week, assuming it is not orange, as orange ones go much faster anyway and only need polishing twice per year.
2004 Girly.

abell

Yep water is fine. Some people resist washing motorcycles with water for some inexplicable reason. It won't do any harm, it's no worse than riding in rain after all. But I would not use a pressure washer at all.

If you have a leaf blower or shopvac that blows air, it can help you prevent excess water from sitting inside fasteners etc, or you can just ride it afterwards. Either way you want to run the bike for five or ten minutes after you wash it. You really want it completely dry when you put it away.

The only other thing I can recommend is the use of Plexus, which is a fantastic product for plastics and windshields which I only discovered fairly recently.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Debrucy

thanks lads ill give it a go..car shampoo sounds like the buisness,i live on the 2nd floor appartment so buckets of water on the street will have to do,havent had a bike in years.....so its all a bit new to me....but thanks agian for the tips.

Tiger 96

Amsterdam

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Debrucy"thanks lads ill give it a go..car shampoo sounds like the buisness,i live on the 2nd floor appartment so buckets of water on the street will have to do,havent had a bike in years.....so its all a bit new to me....but thanks agian for the tips.

Tiger 96

Amsterdam

Here's a tip:

http://www.jccarpet.com/janitorial/pump-up.html

Pump up sprayers are excellent for washing a bike in your situation. Add a little Scottoiler FRS 365 to the water in the bottle and you can spray down the bike every ride in winter. It's also handy for simple washing etc. I usually ride the bike to a jet-wash and clean her good and proper when she's really filthy...

New-Tiger

I am bad. I leave mine outside uncovered. The chain is a bit rusty on the outside edge and its only an 05! Am i doing it much harm?

GlenWatt

Any tips on cleaning those bastard spoke wheels.

I fotgot how much fun it can be, even the DRZ is easier.

My knucles still hurt after the weekend.  

No not because they drag on the ground, but thank you for asking..... :D
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

greg

Quote from: "GlenWatt"Any tips on cleaning those bastard spoke wheels.

I fotgot how much fun it can be, even the DRZ is easier.

My knucles still hurt after the weekend.  

No not because they drag on the ground, but thank you for asking..... :D
Spoked wheels - yes they are bastards to clean and almost constitute a good reason for splashing out on an 05, but not quite! There is no easy way. I hate them. When I had a Thunderbird Sport I hated cleaning the spokes on that too, and swore I would never buy a bike with spoked wheels again. I am quite pissed off that the Tiger is so good in every other respect, in fact I resisted buying one for years because of the bloody spoked wheels! Phew, got that off my chest didn't I!
2004 Girly.

greg

Quote from: "New-Tiger"I am bad. I leave mine outside uncovered. The chain is a bit rusty on the outside edge and its only an 05! Am i doing it much harm?
Yes is the simple answer. Spraying on some chain lube straight after a ride is a good idea as the chain is still hot and will absorb the lube easier. If you spray it on cold most of it just gets thrown onto those bastard spokes (Or not as you have an 05). In any case try to lube the chain at at least 400 mile intervals or you'll end up with a very premature chain and sprocket set replacement cost. Ideally fit a Scottoiler or similar, they make a huge difference to chain and sprocket life.
2004 Girly.

Brock

Spoked wheels...mine come off for cleaning properly once a year (just done it, after winter). Otherwise the accessible bits just get the occasional wipe over.

I've found industrial-grade hand wipes the best. They're impregnated (lovely word) with a mild de-greaser, so they even shift chain lube.

Before winter set in, I coated the rims and spokes with Waxoil and left them to build up a layer of crud to protect them from salt. Having just cleaned them off again I'm impressed...no rust or corrosion at all.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

offroad55

I would not use a high power washer at all.  I use Mr Moto's Moto wash.  It smells like bubble gum but works great.  Im also use a wide bristle paint brush to wash the spokes and hard to reach areas.
Norm

Howlin

Spoked wheel cleaning,I use a toilet bowl brush.Nice long handle  to get behind the rotors to the hub and the material get's in and around the spokes real well with just soapy water.

Uhhhh,it's another toilet brush than the one used in the.........
Îreading roomÌ! :shock:  :D

knarf

Spray the bsck wheel (not the tyre) with Mr Sheen  or any really mucky bits with Mr Sheen then rinse with warm water.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

TigerTrax

I wash mine twice a year ... and use Wash nDri spray the rest ofthe time.

But when I do wash it ..... I pour in a 1/2 cup of charcoal lighter with a mild soap. That really gets everything clean... the tar, oil, road grime, wheels, yadda, yadda, ...  been doing it for Eons of time . started in Florida and Georgia where blacktop roads prevail!

Then rinse and wash again with a car wash soap...
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Debrucy

Thanks for all the tips....that hand sprayer looks like just the ticket.

Derek

Tiger 96

Amsterdam