News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Washing the Tiger

Started by Debrucy, March 31, 2005, 05:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenWatt

some great tips.

Brock, how do you find the "build up a layer of crud" technic.

It was something I have been thinking about a lot this winter. My thoughts are that the salt has to get through both the layer of crud and what ever you use as an initial coating before it can eat the bike.

Just never had the bottle to trust it, I keep giving in and wash the bike and start again. I guess I'm just a woss.... :?
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

newmanr19

If you wash frequently, don't use detergent soap on your brake rotors; this can appearntly lead to a build up of soap residue and can casuse braking problems

Slim Dave

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Here's a tip:

http://www.jccarpet.com/janitorial/pump-up.html

Pump up sprayers are excellent for washing a bike in your situation. Add a little Scottoiler FRS 365 to the water in the bottle and you can spray down the bike every ride in winter. It's also handy for simple washing etc. I usually ride the bike to a jet-wash and clean her good and proper when she's really filthy...

Hey good call. We have water restrictions here (only use a hose pipe Wednesday and Sunday yadda yadda) so I used a one-gallon insecticide quirter. The best thing was that as soon as my kids saw me getting started, they took over! I was just master of ceremonies.

So, bike clean, me happy, kids had fun. Sorted.

ps. Sorry to hear about the crash -- hope you're mobile again soon.

Brock

Glen...The "layer of crud" technique is one the Crime Squad bikers at work have been using for years, only they leave out the coating of Waxoil ('cos the bikes they ride aren't their own). Basically they don't wash the bike from about Sept onwards. The mileage they do ensures that a good thick layer of road filth builds up on the bike, although they (of course) keep the lights and VRM plate clean. The crud does appear to keep the salt at bay, as they just squirt the bike with clean cold water when the conditions are salty. Come spring, the bike gets jet washed, polished and re-greased and hey presto...just like new (almost).

With the ol' Tiger I greased the wheels and spokes with waxoil, and squirted the Motorex spray on everything else bar the brakes and wheels. Having just cleaned her off I'm amazed at how little corrosion there is, although the oil and brake pipe banjo fittings have, I'm afraid succumbed.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein