News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

You don't need an iron butt.......

Started by nickjtc, September 07, 2014, 07:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

....to do an Iron Butt-type ride on a Steamer. It would help, though. Especially with a stock seat.

Yesterday I went for a little ride from here, through the Rockies east, by-passed Calgary and rode north to Edmonton for a little visit at my Dad's memorial, then west to Jasper, back through the Rockies, south through Kamloops and home.

I hear you ask, why? Well, the insurance runs out for the season on the 21st, I wanted to really wear out the rear tyre, and I wanted to fine-calibrate the Vapor digital dash. And stopping off at Dad's memorial was a bonus.

I left home at 04.05 in the dark. Within minutes a coyote ran across the road in front of me. It was decidedly nippy, especially up in the mountains. Quite foggy at the Columbia River in the vicinity of Golden. Once the sun came up it was a glorious autumn day for the whole ride. Quite painfully bright at times riding into the rising and setting sun.

The artillery piece in the Rogers Pass pic is used in the winter time to dislodge potential avalanches.

I am extremely happy with the 19/46 gearing change. The bike is vibrationless totally at (my) highway speeds. It has not, unfortunately, done anything to improve the fuel consumption.  :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

Anyhoo, I got home just after midnight this morning having been away for 20 hours. My travel distance was 1791km/1113miles. The rear tyre is even squarer than before, but still showing a lot of tread, and the Vapor is now calibrated to one tenth of one percent accuracy..... until the front tyre wears some more.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Micko

What an amazing set of photos Nick and all you lot over t'other side of the pond are dead lucky!! Always always wanted to go to the Rockies / BC and you never know one day...Mind you I've got a cousin who lives in Surrey BC so have to start saving the pennies.

That's also quite a mileage you clocked up there and can imagine an iron butt comes in handy!

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Nice run :thumbsup.  Yes,the stock seat is a 'pain'  :icon_cry:(pardon the pun)
95 Super111
96 Tiger