News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stainless Spokes

Started by fraserdog, October 04, 2014, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

Do pre 04 girlies have stainless spokes? My 02 seems to have stainless spokes but some are a bit tarnished and was going to clean them up with scothbrite or similar but didn't want to damage the finish if they are not stainless.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

KuzzinKenny

Hey fraserdog !! i have no idea if they're SS or not but you can do a magnet check, if it sticks they're steel and if it falls off they're SS  :thumbsup

altho with some cheep SS a magnet will have a slight attraction  :icon_confused:

you would think SS will not tarnish as its called stainless  :icon_scratch:

it should be called rustless steel  :nod

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

fraserdog

Never thought of the magnet check,doh!,i'll try that tomorrow. :icon_redface:.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

No idea if they are or not but I can tell you Central Wheel at Coleshill built them.

fraserdog

The majority of them do look extremely shiney for a 12 year old bike which made me think they might be stainless,none of them are corroded but some are just discoloured.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: fraserdog on October 04, 2014, 10:39:26 PM
The majority of them do look extremely shiney for a 12 year old bike which made me think they might be stainless,none of them are corroded but some are just discoloured.

+1 for KK's magnet test. Most SUS spokes are the 304 or A2 grade which will be very very slightly magnetic. As far as I know they were never supplied as stock, so if they are and you don't know the history, might be worth checking them for trueness.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fraserdog

I had a quick scout round the house and garage for a magnet today but to no avail.The rims have BEHR GERMANY stamped on them,is this standard for the Tiger?
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

KuzzinKenny

Hey fraserdog !! just be aware about what ya clean yer wheels with !! it might be the best cleaner in the world for wheels but some powerfull cleaners can attack the oils in the tyre and cause them to dry out and fail  :icon_eek: i did this once on me car alloys with neat steamcleaner soap and i could see it attacking the tyre  :icon_eek: so quickly powerwashed it off, lesson learnt !!

just makin ya aware  :thumbsup

KK 
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

fraserdog

Cheers for that,i usually use a good quality car shampoo to wash the bike and wd40 on a rag to clean the oil residue of the rim from the chain lube.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Sin_Tiger

Can't say for the Girlies (John Stenhouse?) but the Steamers were DID.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fraserdog

Well I got a magnet and tried it on the spokes and they must be stainless as it didn't stick.Could it have been supplied standard with stainless spokes? Just found this http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=304099&block_03=23772. and this  http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=304101&block_03=23772   looks like stainless came as standard   :icon_smile:
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

John Stenhouse

Yes Behr were the OEM item, it's stock and stainless spokes were too
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

fraserdog

That's a bonus then,thats my first bike I've owned with stainless spokes.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

KuzzinKenny

Don't have SS spokes but do have SS exhaust and was wondering if these white foam blocks ya get at the pound shop would clean SS as you just need water and no chemicals  :icon_wink:

i do know NOT to clean paintwork with them (don't ask)  :icon_redface: but never thought about me exhaust at the time !!

KK

these things................

http://www.poundland.co.uk/magic-sponge-eraser-2-pack

Sin_Tiger

Work great on helmets and visors  :thumbsup