News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 Tiger over charging

Started by birddogone, October 09, 2014, 11:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birddogone

Hey Fellas,
My above tiger has had the Sasquauce fix and I replace the regulator  a couple thousand miles ago just as a maintenance step. Get'n things ready for about a 2k trip next week and now I've got an over charging problem. I researched the archives and most threads here were about under charging. I checked my on board volt meter with my hand held volt meter and they were the same. at idle 12.5 v and above 3000 rpms I'm at 17.8 volts. the on board volt meter goes from green to red when the voltage gets above 16v.
Any help sure would be appreciated, thanks.
Rod in Virginia
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Mustang

Better get your old regulator back out because it sounds like the new one has gone tits up .
It happens . Was the preventive maintenance one a oem or aftermarket.

Marc

:iagree

replaced mine as a precaution with an aftermarket Shindengen, and after only 2000 miles it was shot  :icon_eek:
Replaced again with the oem I kept on the shelve, and everything still works super  :thumbsup
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

birddogone

Thanks a million fellas. I think your gonna be right, I'll let you know soon.
Best,
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

birddogone

Looks like my trip's back on!   :eusa_clap  Thanks to Mustang, Marc and this great Site I'm back in business, put the old regulator back in and all is back to normal. Went for about a thirty mile run just to be sure and is it shore nuff is.  The after market reg. I had installed was a Procom, don't know how to test it but I assume it's no good.
Thanks again for all your help,
Rod in Va.

PS I'll post pictures from my trip down to Talladega Speedway when I get back.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Marc

:nod

Mine has been replaced for free with a RR58  "frequently used by Honda"...they said, with cooling plate and paste.
The OEM is still doing a great job, so I keep this one as a spare.
I'm not so confident with this new one after the first disaster....

previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Bixxer Bob

With a little fettling and an extra bracket you can turn the reg rec through 90 degrees and get the air flowing through it instead of round it  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Marc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 16, 2014, 04:25:46 PM
With a little fettling and an extra bracket

Yeah!... the original position is already so narrow :icon_eek:   the loom to the 30A fuse is pinched between the RR and de battery box  :icon_confused:
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39