News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedo kicked the bucket.

Started by cba191, October 13, 2014, 04:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cba191

It was erratic for a little while, now it's completely gone.  Looks like I'm in the market for a new one.  Anyone have a spare they aren't needing?  I'll disassemble it this week to see what the problem is, but my hopes aren't too high.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

daveb

are you sure the speedo is knackered, usually when the pointer (needle) is erractic its could be the speedometer drive cable failing - mechanical speedometer or the electrical pick is broken for electronic speedometers.

I would check this first just to make sure.

Mustang

BROKEN MAGNET AT THE WHEEL PICK UP SENDER IS THE #1 FAULT FOR A Girly SPEEDOMETER

you can't buy just the magnet .........need to buy the whole sender unit

Chris Canning

Biggest problem with the Tiger speedo is the people who own them!!!! :icon_wink: how often do folk take them off the the bike and clean them I do mine every year and re-grease and it's just as bad the following jammed full of shit so if you haven't done yours for a while or never the first thing I'd do is the former,my magnet is broken in two half's and has been for a while and it still works fine while the problem could be anything I'd go for a lack of maintenance before you do any thing.

To clean it out properly you'll need a paint brush and plenty of WD or the like.

PeteH

Trouble is you need a doner speedo to check it out properly, I used a mates Tiger and diagnosed the actual sender unit to be fecked, 100 quid later all is well and even my wallets recovered ;) Thing now is that my clocks stopped working and the odo resets to zero when the ignition is turned off :(  edit to add .... also check the tabs on the drive as I've read these can fail too                                                                                                   
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

cba191

I cleaned it earlier this summer.  It was really inconsistent for a couple weeks then took a complete dump for my great basin ride this last weekend.

cba191

How much grease do you guys out in the Speedo?  And do you grease both sides? Hub and sender?

Chris Canning

HockleyBoy

Quote from: PeteH on October 13, 2014, 10:25:30 PM
Thing now is that my clocks stopped working and the odo resets to zero when the ignition is turned off                                                                                               

Search on here, I had the problem a while back and in the thread there is some very helpful trouble shooting advice from Bob. Mine was a loose wire which was easily fixed.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

rex007can

Had that issue just 2 months ago during a 8 day trip I took right after I had the front tire replaced.
Turned out the guy had pulled the wire too tight and it was pulling on the plug under the fairing.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

PeteH

Thanks for the advise.....sounds like a winter project :nod
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour