News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Center stand springs

Started by abell, April 05, 2005, 03:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abell

Hi all

I fitted a center stand to my 2005 Tiger today (no we don't get them as standard fit in the US) and from the wonderful instructions I can't tell for the life of me which of the springs locates where. There's a thick spring and a thin spring.

On the bike end, both locate on the backing plate behind the footpeg mount. On the center stand end, I am assuming:

- one locates in the far hole in the small triangular plate between the cross-brace and the left-hand leg of the centerstand

- the other locates on the post that protrudes from the left leg about halfway between the bike-end mount and the triangular plate.

So which goes where? Does it matter? If someone could have a look at theirs I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Adam
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Renman

Adam,

I encountered the same problem.  After scratching my head for an hour (got a big bald spot there now), I realized that the smaller spring fits inside the larger one.  Once you do that, it works like a charm.  Just try the smaller spring both ways and the proper direction should become apparent based on how the spring hooks line up with each other.

Let me know if you need a pic and I'll try to get one.

Mark

abell

Thanks for the response Mark!

Inside - meaning they both locate on the same hole in the triangular bracket?

Begging the question what's the other post for?
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Speed3guy

I just went through this too.  The drawings are for the <'04's.  The small spring goes inside of the big one, and they attach to the post, not to the hole in the triangular bracket as drawn.

Cheers,

G

abell

Sod it, I've attached mine to the bracket, now I need to see if they've stretched out too much - if so I might just leave them where they are.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

offroad55

Speed3guy as it right.

I too went the this pain and thru logic I ended up the smaller spring thru the bigger one and hooked to the post.  I saw another tiger that sleeved the springs with some thin black radiator hose and it looked nice.
Norm

T_Phil

Quote from: "abell"Hi all

I fitted a center stand to my 2005 Tiger today (no we don't get them as standard fit in the US) and from the wonderful instructions I can't tell for the life of me which of the springs locates where. There's a thick spring and a thin spring.

On the bike end, both locate on the backing plate behind the footpeg mount. On the center stand end, I am assuming:

- one locates in the far hole in the small triangular plate between the cross-brace and the left-hand leg of the centerstand

- the other locates on the post that protrudes from the left leg about halfway between the bike-end mount and the triangular plate.

So which goes where? Does it matter? If someone could have a look at theirs I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Adam

Hi, I just checked on my 2005 Tiger where the centerstand came as standard.  The small one goes inside of the larger one with the longer hooks on the side of the centerstand.

Phil

whoa

What's the length of those springs?  I'm too cheap to buy the kit ($100) so just bought the mounting hardware and will fab the rest.

marko

I have just fitted a stand on my '05 and the instructions state that the long hooks should be at the uppermost position.
\"Get on your bad motor scooter and ride\"

abell

Yes longer end of the spring go to the top.

I left mine attached to the triangular bracket, they were not tight enough for my liking on the post.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

squid

This thread delivers!  :D

heh.  Just had the same issue on my 2005.

Was thinking maybe I was crazy to put one inside the other, but as an engineer it was the only thing that made sense.

Yeah me!

Jim Thomison

I just installed a centerstand to my 06 and hooked the long end of both springs to the top stud as stated in the instructions but I had a problem with the springs hitting the mounting bolt when rolling the bike off the stand. I flipped the springs so they hooked in the other direction and they still hit the bolt. I cut abot 1/4" off the bolt last night and fixed the problem.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I'm going to remove the bolts that came with the stand and replace them with SS shoulder bolts that it should have been shipped with.
2006 Tiger

2002 Bonneville T-100