News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What would you do about this head bolt?

Started by El Pescador, November 30, 2014, 01:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

The head is stripped out and it's going to be impossible to drill. I can get a hacksaw blade in there, but I'm afraid of screwing up. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

I think he's talking about the one between the 2 ports with its head pointing upwards at about 30 degrees off the vertical. I don't think a hacksaw blade slot will be enough to tackle it. You may be able to MIG weld a nut on top - or even a socket head screw. Otherwise a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the top off? In either case I'd remove the exhaust studs first to get a bit of room.

Not a job I'd fancy myself.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

El Pescador

Quote from: iansoady on November 30, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
I think he's talking about the one between the 2 ports with its head pointing upwards at about 30 degrees off the vertical. I don't think a hacksaw blade slot will be enough to tackle it. You may be able to MIG weld a nut on top - or even a socket head screw. Otherwise a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the top off? In either case I'd remove the exhaust studs first to get a bit of room.

Not a job I'd fancy myself.

That's the one. Sorry I'm working of my phone so post doesn't have a whole lot of information.  As you can sort of see, I already have a hacksaw blade in between the head and the block. My thought is, if I cut the bolt and remove the head, I'll have a lot more room to work with.

London_Phil

I would be VERY wary of putting a hacksaw there. You run a massive risk of damaging headgasket sealing surface, and when you install a new gasket, you need to put little crescent spacers at that point to prevent warping the head.  I would try to dremel the head of the bolt off, then once the head was off, it will probably come out under finger pressure. Good luck..

Mustang

how did the bolt head get stripped ?

I suggest using an easy out .

just use an extension on the drill bit .

my second bit of advice would be to buy some good quality torx bits so you don't strip any more bolt  heads .
they will prove handy upon reassembly .
and if you don't have a shop manual (preferably Triumph) GET ONE !

El Pescador

Quote from: London_Phil on November 30, 2014, 04:15:36 PM
I would be VERY wary of putting a hacksaw there. You run a massive risk of damaging headgasket sealing surface, and when you install a new gasket, you need to put little crescent spacers at that point to prevent warping the head.  I would try to dremel the head of the bolt off, then once the head was off, it will probably come out under finger pressure. Good luck..

Thanks. I may try this. There isn't a lot of room to work.

El Pescador

Quote from: Mustang on November 30, 2014, 04:16:41 PM
how did the bolt head get stripped ?

I suggest using an easy out .

just use an extension on the drill bit .

my second bit of advice would be to buy some good quality torx bits so you don't strip any more bolt  heads .
they will prove handy upon reassembly .
and if you don't have a shop manual (preferably Triumph) GET ONE !

I think the last person in there may have stripped it for me. They also left out the spacers. I hope they're still available. No matter though, it's my problem to fix.

I would like to go the easy out route, but it's a weird angle. Any suggestions?

Mustang

Quote from: El Pescador on November 30, 2014, 05:07:26 PM

I think the last person in there may have stripped it for me. They also left out the spacers. I hope they're still available. No matter though, it's my problem to fix.

I would like to go the easy out route, but it's a weird angle. Any suggestions?
sharp chisel and hammer , smack it the same direction you would unscrew it . works every time .
the spacer pcs. come with a new head gasket .
don't forget to reseal (with hylomar) the cylinder liners at the bases when you reassemble

edit : found some pics on the net explaining the chisel and hammer trick

threepot

I have tried Mustang chisel method with success in the past. Can you cut a slot across,and use a large flat blade screwdriver?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

El Pescador

Success!!!  Mustang, you're the man!  It wasn't easy or pretty, but I got that beast out with your chisel method.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

El Pescador

The head is off. The pistons are pretty clean, as are the valves. Would y'all suggest any work other than resealing the sleeves and putting a new head gasket on?

Also, my head gasket did not come with any spacers for the two bolts in the front of the head.  Should I make some out of the old head gasket?

Sin_Tiger

Glad you got the right advice in a timely manner. Next time you're in the tool store, invest in a diamond point chisel, that works best where you can't get at an edge, a good Centre punch will also work in a pinch.

As you say and head work, then you'll be good to go.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Henry James

Not sure about everyone else...
I would clean the tops of the pistons, carefully, don't like carbon floating in my cylinders.
I would remove the sleeves, and carefully clean both mating surfaces, hylomar wants very clean surfaces.
Me, I would replace the rings, but that is a personal choice.
I would make sure the rings are rotated in the correct position before assembly.
Dry the cylinder area throughly, heat gun.
I am sure I forgot something....
I always say a prayer.

97tiger885

The head spacers are listed separately at BikeBandit under Engine & Exhaust,  Cylinder Head & Valves. 

Item 26:  spacer gasket cyl head, 3 cyl at US$1.49 each.

Part number 1378613.