News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging Again

Started by HockleyBoy, November 05, 2014, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Charge has been pretty low on my Tiger for a while but it has kept going. Last night it finally dropped too low, as I rode home the lights dimmed and the instruments shut themselves down one by one. Just made it home before it finally died.

New battery on and new Reg Rec but that didnt help, charging still 11.70 at best before I gave up last night. Tonight I will replace the stator (if I can get past the Touratech bars) and order the bits for the Sasquatch fix.

Hopefully be back in business soon as I do not like commuting by train!

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

HockleyBoy

Pulled it apart and sure enough fried stator, fortunately I had an old one in the back of the garage so that has gone in as a temporary measure, we are back to about 13.8v at tickover and more to the point I dont have to get the (very expensive) train to work.

Now need to think about a more permanent solution, I am not totally sold on the aftermarket stators and wondered if anyone here in the UK has had an OEM rewound and if so who by and how well did the rewound product work?

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

I've used these folks before and they were very helpful.  http://www.electricmotorrepairnorfolk.co.uk/

But I'm sure you could find someone local who could do it.  It comes down to price.  They'll rewind it like for like so it will be as good as the materials they use.  Discuss the heat issues with them and they'll take that into consideration.  The Honda dealer in Peterborough used to have the Blackbird and VFR stators rewound locally for around £60 and claimed they were better than stock.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Thanks, I will talk to them and see what they can do. Will also have a look locally. Am interested in the result rather than the cost as would like wjhatever i do to last a while if possible.