News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

UK Not Tiger specific - when is my MOT Due ??

Started by Loops, February 02, 2015, 06:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loops

Hi Guys,

I'm asking the 'collective' for their opinion.

Ref imported bike - OK it's 2012 HD 'Glide from L.A.

Obviously in the UK - as far as I know - fist MOT is due 3yrs after first date of registration.  Easy enough for UK bikes bought 'n  registered here.

However what happens to imports?  anyone know?

Here's the story behind this:

UK V5c says bike first registered 1st Jan 2012
UK V5c says first UK registration on 7th July 2014
US Cert of Title (their V5c) first registration issued 14th Feb2012

So I'm checking the various bike \ car MOT we have and suddenly figure the HD needs an MOT - being 3 yrs after first registration (1st date above)

I popped down my friendly MOT station and they tell me it's not due yet but they can't tell me when.

Maybe then it's 3yrs after first UK registration or 7th July 2017, but then she'll be 5+ yrs old and that can't be right.

Next I contacted DVLA and asked them and now I am REALLYconfused as they say "31st Dec 2015 or there abouts".

31st Dec 2015 a date that doesn't time relate to anything I can work out.

So guys anyone import a bike \ car and know the answer to my conundrum?  Wouldn't want to end up riding without MOT

Cheers

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

Chris Canning

Hiya stranger how are you!!

My understanding with registering a second hand bike in the UK you need an age related certificate there are only a few companies that do it  you then supply them with your frame and engine number and they check against the manafacturers date base so when you have that certificate(which you pay for) the DVLA will supply you with an age related plate which in your case will be 012 so depending exactly it's age you'll be due one this year at some time if that date is passed by the time you come to reg it you'll need an mot.

It's a bit chicken and egg because the DVLA won't register it without a mot if it needs one but an MOT station will issue one based on the frame and engine number and you have to tell them at a later date so they can put the reg on the mot.

Sin_Tiger

Having been through similar hoops myself:-

A) if the bike was previously registered in another country, that means any including EU States, then the date of first registration in that country will apply as date of first registration as far as DVLA is concerned.

B) if it was not previously registered anywhere and the date of the COC (certificate of conformity required since I believe 2003 for all EU registered vehicles) will be the date applied as first registration. COC may state only the year and month which may explain DVLA apparent vagueness.

C) if you do not have a COC for the bike them you must have the bike submitted for a VOSA examination to verify conformity to EU and UK regulations, further you would have needed a statement of manufacture from the maker, HD in your case. The date of first registration is then considered as the date of the issue of your registration number from the DVLA.

Any MOT station will do a an MOT inspection and issue a certificate any day or time you like for a bike, even if it isn't UK registered or you don't have a V5 for it, they will issue the MOT based on either the existing registration plate for the country currently or previously registered, or noting the VIN number on the issued certificate. This is a fact, I have done it. If you then submit that MOT certificate during the DVLA registration process it is recorded against the V5 once issued, I know this for a fact also. For some strange reason if a car has an older V5 that is not currently on the DVLA system the car will not be accepted for MOT inspection until a newer V5 has been issued which automatically registers the vehicle in the MOT system and you can then get it MOT'd  :icon_scratch: If you take a vehicle for an MOT before a due date it will be accepted and an inspection certificate issued, that date registers in the MOT/DVLA system and the clock starts ticking again, though any decent inspector should point this out to you prior to commencing the inspection, this I have not experienced and was a verbal advice from a senior VOSA inspector whom I have no reason to doubt.

All the above  :blah is personal experience other than where stated.

If I were in your position and have not received a reminder letter from the DVLA (if you didn't actually import the bike yourself in your own name, check with the importer or agent in case the letter has gone to them and they're sitting on it) I would continue until a convenient anniversary date e.g. road tax or insurance date and have an MOT done, it's not going to break the bank but it will ensure you don't get pulled by an ANPR toting traffic officer  :tin hat  :bad as soon as they start making enquiries, little flags start appearing all over the systems and it might well be a whole lot more hassle than a few quid for a year or two more than you might have expected.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

Remember they are talking about a vehicle that is more than 10 years old Chris, if it falls within the period for EU COC ratification (it's too late at night to go checking my letters or trolling the VOSA websites for dates) it's a different story as I discovered to my cost.

Since our friend has a V5 already I'm a bit surprised that the MOT anniversary is not in the system. Might pay to drop by your local friendly bike MOT or nearest VOSA station (they're aren't so many of them now) and ask if they would run the plate for you.

Although my experiences stated above are what you might expect from the DVLA, I would in no way state that you will always get the same answer when you talk to someone, I did experience on several occasions that the person I spoke to unequivocally contradicted one of their colleagues "I don't know who told you that sir but they were mistaken", so much so that I opened the conversations thereafter with "I am recording this conversation for my records and later reference"  :bug_eye one cheeky bugger just dropped the phone straight away  :nono to be fair the others were sympathetic and did try to help.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NKL

I would say it will be 1 year after date of UK registration, that would make the most sense if you don't have the info regarding it's inspection for it's uk registration
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Loops

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies - and I'm well thanks Chris - I am still very confused.

The 'Glide is a 2012 model and was a personal import - ex Eagle Rider rentals.  I did all of the purchase \ shipping etc.  Just had a company here get her through the SVA \ CE certification etc.  Which she passed no problem.  All this around July 2014, so ahe's been on the road for 6 months approx and been to europe \ done about 5k miles so far.

I'll email the guys who did teh CE cert etc - it's all they do bike & cars - they must now.

My MOT officer is a mate I drink with most weeks and he told me no need yet for MOT and not due within 30 days either.

Like NKL I thought either one year from UK Registration so around July 2015 (or three years from 1st registration ~ Jan 2015)

I gues what I cannot fathom is where the heck DVLA worked out 31 Dc 2015 from - mathmatically it doesn't make sense.

Reckon it's trip down to the Rozzers traff pol to see if they can help.

Thanks for you coments and if I find out the 'truth' I will post answer here.

Cheers

Loops

PS anyone want to buy a Ligtning Yellow 885efi tiger - new tyres, Trumpy panniers and tank bag, ohlins rear, 955 front forks and non-trumpy top box.  Well used but still rides sweet (well did 3 months ago).  New tyres but needs chain 'n sprockets has 19t front sprocket.  TOR plus original included.  Offers over a Grand considered.

Sin_Tiger

I too spoke to traffic division and although very helpful were unclear on dating issues. My suggestion was based on they're suggestions in addition to others. They said that, God forbid there was a summons, it would come down to the interpretation of the person handling the case.

I too thought that "date of first registration" would be considered as "in the UK" but the plate I was issued with was date related based on it's first registration ever. This interpretation was further reinforced when I recently tried to put a personal plate on the bike and was refused on the basis that the plate I wanted use would make the bike apper younger than date of first registration, even though the bike was 20 years old and there was only a few months different from the personal plate.

I'm still wound up about this so I won't go into details but I mention it as an example of how Black and white they can be when it comes to interpretation.

Loops

I knew about not making a vehicle appear 'younger' than it really is  - a mate in the MOPAR club here has a plate on retention but can't use it 'cos all his cars are too old !  Anyone for a Plymouth 'Cuda 8.8ltr hemi V8 engine ~ 8 to 9 mpg  :bug_eye

The Glide has an age related plate HK61*** even though it's 2012 model - missed the UK 2012 March date by 14 days - poop happens  :Topes

Maybe I can get up to local plod shop this arvo to find out.

Will let you know

Chers

Loops

Sin_Tiger

Worth a try mate, you might be lucky connecting with a TO (Black Rat) who's really up on the rules and regs or has previous experience. It all ads to the knowledge pool, were right behind you  :icon_wink: