News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1997 Steamer. Starter won't turn, engine locked. HELP !

Started by Danwarb, May 10, 2015, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Don't worry about expansion tank until the system is full. Get the bike level,pour in coolant mix into radiator  until its Full whilst engine is running. Leave it run for a couple of mins should be enough.Replace cap. Check expansion level after engine is warm. Thats what I do anyhow.
Steamers take 2.8ltrs
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on May 20, 2015, 08:45:31 PM
Does the temp gauge show high after 5-10 mins or does the fan come in before that, if not it should be OK.

Hi Jay,

Which should I expect?

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

JayDub

In normal use - i.e. riding, it should stay within the 'normal zone', if ticking over with little airflow then it will get quite hot, the gauge would read higher and the fan may kick in after about 10 mins.
As threepot says, but I wouldn't run it without coolant - fill it then start it, let it idle for about 5-10 mins (with the filler cap on) to make sure - ...Anything untoward would be evident by overheating.

iansoady

If the fan does come on as suggested my first port of call would be the thermostat as I suggested earlier. You can test it easily by putting in a pan of cold water then heating up - you should see it open shortly before boiling point
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

you guys are aware that there is two temp sensors on a steamer , right ?

one in the head is for the gauge
second one is in the radiator and controls only the fan coming on

I've had both of them fail at one time or another on the four beasts of mine.

so if your gauge says you are overheating , there is a good possibility you're not

like Ian says you can test the thermostat in a pan of boiling water , drop it in , if good you will see it open immediately
and when you tke it out of the water it should close as soon as it cools down enough.
the thermostats very rarely fail  BTW
and water pumps will leak when the seal go's bad but they usually will still pump water .

Danwarb

Great to learn. Thanks guys.

I reckon from what you say it's fine !

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

Sort that clutch cover and go an ride the beast. you've earned it!  :nod

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on May 21, 2015, 03:40:29 PM
Sort that clutch cover and go an ride the beast. you've earned it!  :nod

Thanks Jay !

YES !!!

I'm actually riding out in to Sussex for a festival. The new clutch plate arrives tomorrow but even if I don't get time the hole is tiny so I'll be fine.

Also the bike as a new Mitcheling Anakee 2 front tire and she passed her not with out even one advisory !

It's all come together at last ! I can't wait !!!
Black 1995 Tiger 885