News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What now??

Started by t4tiger, February 08, 2015, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t4tiger

Hi again, spent the day fighting carbs and success, I think. Found a lot of grit and fuel gunge in one of the float bowls. The other two seemed fine. Checked the fuel line filter and I think it had been put in wrong, allowing grit in. When I first put carbs back on, with the help of lots of silicone spray, the engine just jumped straight to 5000 revs and rising. No control so switched off. Tried it again and no better. Took carbs back off and on again. No idea what I did but worked ok.  Presently all seems ok. Will take for a spin tomorrow. Oh, replaced throttle cable whilst in there.  As much as I love the bike when it is running, it really is awful to work on.  Many thanks for all help.

t4tiger

£30 for throttle cable :icon_cry:

JayDub

Welcome to steamerville  :icon_rolleyes:
If its just the inner thats gone then some bike shops will make up another for about 5-8 quid, mine broke at the ridiculous plastic adjuster, but I was lucky and got a set of 'new, old stock' choke and throttle cables for 14 quid on fleabay.

Sin_Tiger

If you haven't had the petcock off to drain tank gunge (it got into your carbs from somewhere  :nod) I suggest you do it as soon as you can. Personally I'm in the "junk the tank strainers and the in hose filter and fit an external clear case filter" camp. Removing carbs at the roadside in the rain is only for a certain French Marquis to enjoy  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 21, 2015, 10:10:33 PM
Removing carbs at the roadside in the rain is only for a certain French Marquis to enjoy
:icon_scratch:

threepot

Really its only carbs and airfilter which is a pain to remove and work on. Generally the rest isn't too bad :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

t4tiger

Marquis de sade right? Just seems crazy to have to take carbs off to install adjust throttle cable. That said, I was so dreading fighting the carbs that when they went back on I was ecstatic. Little things......  I've read a few things on hereabout petcock issues and am loath to remove it and then have trouble with leaks. Would just emptying the tank and giving a good rinse work?  The other thing I noticed was the fuel mixture screws were out 4 turns. Changed them to 2.5 as per mustangs advice. Will see if that changes anything when I ride him.  Thanks for the continuing education and feedback. Really appreciated

t4tiger

take the tank off the bike . but only after there is only a gallon or so left in it .
shake it up good to get the sediment floating in the fuel
set tank down on front end so petcock end is at top
remove petcock
pour the fuel out the petcock opening into a suitable container (read this as big ass pan)
most or all of the crud should come out
if not repeat as necessary

Just read above from mustang 're tank. Sorted.  :notworthy

t4tiger

And I need one of those 90 degree screwdrivers to alter mixture. Any alternative to expensive carbtune model?

Sin_Tiger

You might get away with a good slunge out but the nylon strainers are well known to collapse and restrict flow when riding at constant higher speeds. They return to normal when the load is off, so when you check they look normal.

The issue is normally the screws holding the petcock to the tank which you will probably know from your reading. I'd you are careful and not tempted to over tightening when putting them back you should be OK. You'll know by the feel as you take them out if there's going to be an issue, good soaking with Lusol won't do any harm.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

t4tiger

Hi sin,
Done tank and seems to be fine. Are you suggesting I cut the nylon filters off and put an in line filter on? If so, any pref for make and positioning?

Went for a ride and seems ok but still got small back fire at idle and when coming off throttle.  Which way do I need to turn mixture screws to address this?  Also, slight hesitation when accelerating then picks up smoothly. This had been solved with mustangs jet upgrade but is now back.  Is this down to mixture too?   

JayDub

Make sure there are no air leaks at the carb rubbers, and the airbox drain tube is plugged,

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JayDub on February 22, 2015, 06:31:36 PM
Make sure there are no air leaks at the carb rubbers, and the airbox drain tube is plugged,

That is plug the end of the hose, you need somewhere for water to collect.

Yes, I've cut mine off long ago and fitted a K&N sintered filter just under the tap. I'll find a part number for you if you want to go that way, it's probably in a old thread somewhere.

JayDub

Quote from: t4tiger on February 22, 2015, 09:43:03 AM
And I need one of those 90 degree screwdrivers to alter mixture. Any alternative to expensive carbtune model?
Its possible to improvise, with a steel bar, some bits from the socket draw and a £3.99 Lidl angle attachment I did this...