News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What now??

Started by t4tiger, February 08, 2015, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t4tiger

Hi,

I've turned in the pilot screws to just below 2 and the revs are dropping quickly now so thanks Mustang :notworthy.  Still got the backfire.  It will have to wait for me to strip it down again.  Sick of it at the mo.  I'll report back in due course.  Many thanks for all the various  input. 

Mustang

by backfire , do you mean popping of the exhaust on the overrun when you shut the throttle down ?
if so it is generally caused by an air leak in the exhaust pipe system , a leaking joint at connection points .

otherwise a backfire can be caused by anything :
a bad coil , water in the gas , bad sparkplug ,
intake valve going tight .
needle valve flooding the carb/carbs,
dirty air filter
bad plug wires and on and on .............................

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on March 11, 2015, 08:11:24 PM
by backfire , do you mean popping of the exhaust on the overrun when you shut the throttle down ?
if so it is generally caused by an air leak in the exhaust pipe system , a leaking joint at connection points .

otherwise a backfire can be caused by anything :
a bad coil , water in the gas , bad sparkplug ,
intake valve going tight .
needle valve flooding the carb/carbs,
dirty air filter
bad plug wires and on and on .............................
AND silencers which have been messed about with by the PO  :icon_evil:

HEY MUSTANG... does turning the fuel/air mix screws IN make for a richer mix or leaner? (Mikuni's)

t4tiger

I'll try and get a video of it and post in due course...

t4tiger

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/t4tiger1/library/

Hi,

New coils, air filter and sparkplugs fitted.  Just putting back together and will see if this works.  Hopefully I have added link to pics of old spark plugs.  There are differences.  Can anyone interpret them for me please??

Sin_Tiger

One on the right is good, middle one might have been suffering pre - ignition, left has been running rich.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

how many miles on those plugs ?
the left while being on the verge of too rich actually has a nice brown color to it . just a bit much though the other two look too lean to me
#3 is not too far from being spot on
so I tend to agree with the

t4tiger

I can't remember when I changed them, less than 10000.  So....what do I need to do to get them all spot on?  Also, having changed the plugs , the backfire is still there and when I left the bike to run for a while the revs started to climb to about 2500 and then came down again.  After a few minutes it would do it again...and then nothing for several minutes and then repeat.  Any ideas? Is it haunted....  Arghhhh

Mustang

how are the carb rubber manifolds ?...........air leak between engine and carbs can do that

t4tiger

All a few months old.  Feeling like a visit to the dealer  :icon_frown:

GavD

I had a brand new rubber carb/head manifold split on me after only a couple of carb in/out's. I hadn't overtightened the clamps or anything, it just went on me. Have a check.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

:ImaPoser :ImaPoser :ImaPoser you have far too much free time on your hands.

:iagree with Gav, the carb rubbers can be damaged by enthusiastic or frustrated man handling and a crack will be difficult to spot. One way to identify a leak is to smear vaseline over suspect areas which will get sucked in. It's also useful stuff when assembling  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 28, 2015, 12:14:11 AM
  smear vaseline over suspect areas which will get sucked in. It's also useful stuff when assembling  :augie
is that Scottish slang for something I don't even want to ask about  :ImaPoser

ssevy

I believe he is talking about piece work
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

We're deviating a little from the topic at hand, but KY is the lubricant of choice.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"