News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What now??

Started by t4tiger, February 08, 2015, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t4tiger

Ok. So I'm going to strip right right back down, dismantle carbs and reassemble.  Make sure everything is in place properly. When I've done that which way do I need to turn mixture screws to sort the plugs?? Thanks

Bixxer Bob

If the rubbers are suspect  won't the old squirt of carb cleaner around them when the engine's running work?  If it sucks carb cleaner in you'll soon know....  :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: t4tiger on March 28, 2015, 08:19:30 AM
Ok. So I'm going to strip right right back down, dismantle carbs and reassemble.  Make sure everything is in place properly. When I've done that which way do I need to turn mixture screws to sort the plugs?? Thanks
If the screw is on the front or engine side of the carb out is richer  in is leaner (steamers)
if the screw is on the air box side of the carb out is leaner and in is richer.

keep in mind that to read the plugs correctly is not as easy as this
for example if you wanted to check you carbs settings for wide open throttle  you would need to run the bike down the road at full throttle than clutch in and kill engine at same time and pull the plugs at this point without the engine running any more to get an accurate picture of the plug color at WOT
same applies to idle circuit , and midrange
it's not that easy without a dyno................

also bear in mind that the mixture screws only control idle air circuit and the pilot jets control the amount of fuel at idle and slightly above idle .

1/4 to 1/2 throttle is controlled by the size of slide cutaway and needle height settings (the main jet has a small influence on this also .)

and pretty much from 1/2 throttle to wide open throttle the mixture is controlled by the main jet .

and taking to dealer (or someone well versed in steamers) may well be the correct answer as it is nearly impossible to diagnose carb problems without being there "live"

Sin_Tiger

:iagree plug cuts on bikes are just not practical as the man says, clean and clear carbs first (don't forget to have a look at the float heights), air intake leaks second and adjustments last.

BB is right, what I suggested was just one of many variations I've tried or come across, I've even heard of people putting the intake system under low pressure air and spraying soapy water around. I've no idea how that worked out and wouldn't really recommend it  :kboom

Glad you got things off the slippery slope we were on Mustang  :icon_redface:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 28, 2015, 03:01:15 PM
I've even heard of people putting the intake system under low pressure air and spraying soapy water around. I've no idea how that worked out and wouldn't really recommend it

But at least everything would be nice and clean!  :icon_lol:

This whole debacle over carb set up and travails makes me think more and more that I'll just leave things as they are on my bike, horrible fuel consumption and all, rather than faff around trying to put it back to stock.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

t4tiger

Thanks fellows.  Mustang, I had no idea about all the differences you described :notworthy. Off to the dealer it is.  I'll report back on what they find...if anything.  It will be a while as I will have to save up the pennies.     http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/t4tiger1/library/Tiger ...ahhh, the good old days.

nickjtc

You'll appreciate it/her/him all the more once it/she/he is back in fine fettle.  :icon_lol:

steamer 96

Noticed Sin had mentioned Motocarb in Liverpool    :iagree

www.motocarb.com  0151-924-5838     and a quite good basic website that gives you an idea on whats what if you dont already know

M 

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

t4tiger

Well, finally got it to the dealer.  They said that half the valves needed re shimming and that the carbs needed balancing.  The difference is pretty impressive, a lot smoother and pulls throughout the range.  Still got a very occasional backfire whilst idling but idles well, and needs more throttle to pull away than it used to so not perfect.  I'm going to put a can of sea foam in and run a few tanks worth of fuel before I decide what else to do.  Do you think that this minor issue at the bottom end could be easily rectified?  The dealer says take it back if necessary but I'd like to have an idea of what to suggest to them.  I know it may sound like I'm being really picky but having had it from new I know just how good it can be.

And I must say I was really impressed with the dealer, A1 Moto in York.  There first stance was to suggest what I could do myself to resolve issues, talking me through possibilities and inviting me to keep calling for advice.  When I decided to get it in to them they talked through what they planned to do and how much it would cost so that I was in control of how much work/money would be involved.  Got it back washed and polished.  And they gave me a Speedmaster to use whilst my Tiger was in.  Fun and a lovely sounding engine but not my kettle of fish.       

nickjtc

Quote from: t4tiger on May 02, 2015, 01:39:37 PM
And I must say I was really impressed with the dealer, A1 Moto in York.

We don't hear the praises of dealers very often, so three cheers for them!

richierich75

A1 Moto are my local dealers. Friendly dealers, unlike many, especially as dealers in York are thin on the ground these days.

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Reading this thread is making me realise just how much skill is required to balance these carbs.

I've got a situation where mine where good until I sorted the floats out, changed the o rings and assembled them. Now the bike just won't idle and powers down so much it just cuts out.

I'll try out your great advice with the basics and do what I can to sort it my self as I'm really tight for money currently but it may well be a case where I'd have to give in and let a professional sort this.

:icon_study:
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

threepot

Im sure,with the help from this forum,you can sort it! No need to seek so called 'professional' input! I bought my steamer as a non runner. Bike would stall after 5 mins running. Turned out to be a blocked carb inlet filter!!! Bike has ran faultlessly since. Keep plugging away..lot of knowledge on this site :thumbsup
Balancing carbs is not difficult. Get yourself a Morgan Carb tuner. Just ask how to use :icon_smile:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Danwarb on May 16, 2015, 12:55:52 AM

I'll try out your great advice with the basics and do what I can to sort it my self as I'm really tight for money currently but it may well be a case where I'd have to give in and let a professional sort this.

:icon_study:

I appreciate you might not have a great deal of funds free for this at the moment but I'd strongly recommend the Morgan Carbtune as TP says  :iagree don't waste your money on anything cheaper and consider this:-
a) They're not usually much cheaper, can be difficult to read, guage ones are more sensitive to inadvertant mishandling and generally they won't last as long as a quality manometer such as the Morgan.
b) A trip to a workshop will almost ceratainly end up costing you more than the cost of the kit and at the end of the day you'll still have the kit.

We've gotten you this far, we're not going to leave you hanging out in the breeze  :augie