News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What now??

Started by t4tiger, February 08, 2015, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t4tiger

Completely agree that the advice and support from you guys is brilliant and invaluable.  For me it's a balance of time, patience and confidence.  It's the latter two that I struggle with. That said, I've quite enjoyed the trials and tribulations of working through the various ideas and do feel more confident than I did just a few months ago. 

To bring the story of my bike up to date, I have now done lots of testing with different mixture screw settings and am pleased with the results...  It feels good again and I am enjoying riding it.  However, the perfectionist in me knows there is still a slight backfire and the Speedo needle fluctuates at idle.  From my reading I realised that if the mixture screw is in tight the bike should stall. It does for middle and left cylinder but not the right.  I think this suggests that I still have an air leak.   The method of spraying the carbs with carb cleaner to see if anything is being sucked in showed nothing so I am assuming that there is something still not quite right inside the carb itself.  Not Enoch to want to strip it down again but something for the future....  Just gonna ride and enjoy for now. Regards H

ram33

Quote from: t4tiger on May 16, 2015, 01:42:46 PM
To bring the story of my bike up to date, I have now done lots of testing with different mixture screw settings and am pleased with the results...  It feels good again and I am enjoying riding it.  However, the perfectionist in me knows there is still a slight backfire and the Speedo needle fluctuates at idle.  From my reading I realised that if the mixture screw is in tight the bike should stall. It does for middle and left cylinder but not the right.  I think this suggests that I still have an air leak.   The method of spraying the carbs with carb cleaner to see if anything is being sucked in showed nothing so I am assuming that there is something still not quite right inside the carb itself.  Not Enoch to want to strip it down again but something for the future....  Just gonna ride and enjoy for now. Regards H
have you changed the orings on the mixture screw and out the ringsand washer back in the correct order?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

t4tiger

Hi ram, no, I haven't touched them.  I'll be looking next time I strip itp down.....and there will be a next time :icon_wink:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ram33 on May 16, 2015, 05:00:43 PM
have you changed the orings on the mixture screw and out the ringsand washer back in the correct order?

:iagree Good point. Just because you haven't touched them doesn't guarantee they are assembled correctly or in good order. The Fiche diag suggests an incorrect order. I'll try to find a pic.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ram33

Quote from: t4tiger on May 16, 2015, 05:13:08 PM
Hi ram, no, I haven't touched them.  I'll be looking next time I strip itp down.....and there will be a next time :icon_wink:
sometimes the orings leak air after a few years even though they look good
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on May 16, 2015, 02:46:09 AM
Get yourself a Morgan Carb tuner. Just ask how to use :icon_smile:

+3. Yes, cost involved, but it pays for itself the first time you use it.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Danwarb

Hey guys, Hi T4,

In my case it turned out to be the jubilee clips not clamping down on the rubbers efficiently so air was getting it. It's sorted now how ever . . .

As you T4 if I rev quickly from Idle there is a pause, a splutter THEN the revs kick in.

Did you have the same?

is this possible because of blocked jets (Inrecently cleaned my carbs) or is it simply how these carbs react with such sudden revving from 1500rpm upwards?
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Mustang

Quote from: Danwarb on May 20, 2015, 04:31:07 PM
or is it simply how these carbs react with such sudden revving from 1500rpm upwards?
ding ding ding .........................they all do that

Danwarb

Hi Mustang, Hi guys,

I'm interested to ensure I'm getting the best set up I can on my carbs to get the best response and power.

In this article he speaks of the modifications that can can applied to speed up the physics of the diaphragm and thus the slides lifting when the the throttle is opened.

This includes drilling the side holes on each slider to just over 3mm and cutting two turns off each of the slider springs.

Have any if you tried these more minor modifications and had them succeed?

Cheers,

Dan

:icon_study:
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

nickjtc

Quote from: Danwarb on May 21, 2015, 02:03:36 PM

Speaking from personal experience with Stanley. The PO decided that a) he wanted people to be able to hear his bike and b) he wanted to increase its 'peppy-ness'. So he drilled holes in the end of the mufflers, installed a Dynojet kit (and did the internal carb mods), removed the snorkel cap on the airbox and replaced the air filter with a K&N.

He admitted to me the day I bought the bike that all of this made very little perceptual difference to performance of the bike. He also commented that the fuel consumption increased noticeably. Having owned it for 18 months now and having put about 10,000km under its wheels I cannot comment as to its 'as stock performance', but can comment that although I like the 'sound' I do not like the 'noise', and I definitely do not like the horrible fuel consumption figures I am getting. And for my riding requirements any 'improvements' in performance are moot because, being a ghof, I am not interested in bouncing the engine off the (metaphorical) rev-limiter every time I ride.

In short: as soon as I can I am putting the fuel and exhaust system back to stock.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Hi Mustang, Hi guys,

I'm interested to ensure I'm getting the best set up I can on my carbs to get the best response and power.

In this article he speaks of the modifications that can can applied to speed up the physics of the diaphragm and thus the slides lifting when the the throttle is opened.

This includes drilling the side holes on each slider to just over 3mm and cutting two turns off each of the slider springs.

Cheers,

Dan

I doubt that anything that minor would give any significant increase in anything but your frustration, I think you could be opening a can of worms Dan, I've noticed that whenever you alter something in the fuel/air/zorst system, it usually has an adverse affect on some aspect of the running of the bike, (especially with steamers)  - if it ain't broke.... there's a few on here who have had to spend time and cash on returning theirs to standard to cure running problems that a PO has caused - me included, and its still not right  :icon_evil:

Mustang

Hi Mustang, Hi guys,

Cheers,

Dan

you will be sorry
the steamers run best when left at the way triumph designed them .........................

GavD

:iagree

Leave it be ............. ride it
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Go there and buy a big mixed bag of regret, disappointment, and frustration, not too mention the large dent in your bank account, then you go into overdraft trying to get it back to what was a perfectly good machine and most likely end up selling it and swearing off T400's for a long time.

Tell you what, send me £300 for a set of modified slides, with matching needles and jets and some really offensive end cans that sound great but do sod all as far as performance goes. When you get tired of trying to get something that you enjoy riding every day, send me the parts back and I'll refund you £100. It'll be the safest £200 I'll ever bet  :pimp

Alternatively, pack your bags, put £200 in your pocket for petrol and If you don't come back very tired, happy in a way that will have the drugs squad giving you a second look and several sports bike riders wondering if they should have bought a old big trailie instead, I will send you that load of comerativ scrap for free to use as a small boat anchor. 
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

↑ ↑ You can't argue with that can you Dan? ↑ ↑  :icon_eek: