News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake Caliper Swap

Started by HockleyBoy, February 27, 2015, 09:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Its Friday and the sun is shining  :icon_biggrin: so I am going to ask what is probably a stupid question, is there and chance that Street Triple Calipers (see below) will fit a 955 Girly? Has anybody tried them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Street-Triple-675-Front-Brake-Nisin-Complete-Calipers-/161613802252?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item25a0eeeb0c

I only ask because Girly ones are harder to come by and more expensive and there seem to be quite a few Street Triple ones in good condition for a reasonable price.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

Cross checked part numbers on WorldofTriumph and it appears not, at least the part numbers are different, but you never know till you try.  Some breakers will give you seven days grace to try and return...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 28, 2015, 10:24:00 AM
Cross checked part numbers on WorldofTriumph and it appears not, at least the part numbers are different, but you never know till you try.  Some breakers will give you seven days grace to try and return...

Coincidentally I was looking at the rear caliper on my TTSE yesterday and it looks very similar to the Nissin two pot slider used on the Steamers and on the front of the Bonneviille's, it's unlikely those part numbers will match but I'll be checking.
Might be worth having a word with Trevor at Sprint Engineering or the guys at Triumphant, they will usually know what is cross usable even if the part numbers don't match
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Most manafacturers do the parts bin special thing so you can bet your life another Triumph made the same year as your will use a similar caliper just a case of finding them,but when you get more than a couple of years away then the chances are they'll need help with some sort of mod or a new carrier.

HockleyBoy

Thanks all, will explore this further as one of my calipers is on its last legs following the winter. The calipers do look very similar so I will see if I can find a breaker with a reasonable returns policy and if so give it a try.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

HockleyBoy

Found that the calipers for the Speedmaster are the same, got a pair off an 09 from a seller in the US for $90. They arrived today, well pleased with them as they are in very good condition.

Just got to put new seals in and get them fitted, a nice job for the weekend!

daveb

I bought another caliper off a different model of triumph, unsure which model,

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10441.30.html

HockleyBoy

Quote from: daveb on April 02, 2015, 10:50:11 AM
I bought another caliper off a different model of triumph, unsure which model,

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10441.30.html

Nice, they look like the ones from the Street Triple.

daveb

Quote from: HockleyBoy on April 02, 2015, 10:53:34 AM
Nice, they look like the ones from the Street Triple.

Possibly? I ensured the slid pins were same distance apart, so I could use the existing brake caliper bracket if needed.  But they were a perfect match.

I serviced the front brakes on a Honda pan European and they looked the same..

http://www.triumphrat.net/tigers-885i-and-955i-mods-and-workshop/202929-brake-caliper.html

NeilD

the calipers are all much the same , they're handed and there are differences in pad pins ('our' bonneville has twin pin at one end of bike and single at the other but basically the same caliper!)......picked up a brand new one in the recent parts sale for £24 which will fit my thunderbird sport either on the rear or front right, which was listed for a sprint sport - just need to use my 'slider'..
  for info, there is a 3 piston version of this caliper fitted to some Hondas which seems to be a popular mod for bonnevilles and single disc thunderbirds

Sin_Tiger

Good news and helpful. First time hearing about the three pot caliper  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

Sin, theres quite a lot of info regarding the 3 pot nissins on the Triumph RAT forum, although as is often the case on there you have to sort the wheat from the chaff  :hat10 

heres a link to one thread on there...

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/281570-nissin-3-pot-front-caliper-upgrade-the-real-deal.html

I'm just in the process of putting a pair of 4-pot Brembos on my Thunderbird Sport  :icon_eek:

Sin_Tiger

Thanks Neil. The RAT forum didn't like my yahoo email for some reason, snobs  :icon_razz: , I can read but not search, so it's a drag to find anything. I put a Pretech 6 pot on the Thruxton, massive difference even without touching the master cylinder and on a stock disc. I did wonder if the same could be done on other Hinckley models given the propensity for using modular sourcing.

The Pretech isn't cheap but it's UK made, light, compact and might not be that much more after you've sourced all the other gubbins.

Bet you're looking forward to trying out the Brembo's  :bad always liked the looks of the T bird sport, especially in yellow and black  :love10

HockleyBoy

Squaredeals do these 6 pots but they were a bit out of my price range and also not sure how well they would take the winter commuting in the UK.

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/tiger-955i-billet-mini-6-pot-front-brake-calipers-anodised-silver1-pair-1999-06-tuv-18269-p.asp

Chris Canning

I've done more than my fair share of tinkering with brakes both on my Tiger and other bikes the Jap 6 pots are no better than the 4 pot although they do look more trick  :icon_wink: the aftermarket 6 pot stuff is really good but don't be thinking you'll get away with running them on stock Triumph disks because they'll eat them alive you'll need proper musical instrument full floaters either Beringers or PFM's.

Bit late in the day now for most but my Beringers must have 35,000 on them at the very least and they are completely unmarked not even the slightest trace of wear lip on the edge of the disc.