News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hertfordshire Triumph. " Sorry, we don't stock the oil filter for your Tiger"

Started by London_Phil, March 02, 2015, 04:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on March 02, 2015, 10:29:25 PM
I buy filters from m&p. Got a Kawasaki dealer close to you?

Just checked with the local Kawi dealer (2km away, as opposed to 55km for the Triumph dealer): Kawi filter $10.99. Triumph filter $15.98. Hmmm
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

motoOzarks

Here's a link to a write up on motorcycle filters by a motorcycle guy.

More links in this article if you really want to study.  Most links are dead.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

Oil filter comparison by the same guy

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

He arrives at the same conclusion I did years ago when I looked into it.
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Mustang

While I agree that spin ons are usually different from manufacturer to manufacturer.............we're talking about steamer oil filters ........right ?

buy an emgo filter ,cheap money at most bike parts supply places
buy a fram ....8 bucks or so at most any auto parts store
buy a kawasaki filter
buy a triumph original filter
Buy an stp filter
even a hi flo (other than the media is red )
the bypass valve on a steamer is in the engine not the filter .
take them home and compare ................
wait , what ?........they're all the same  :bug_eye

same case, same filter media ,same construction
K&N

EMGO

HI-FLO

FRAM

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on March 11, 2015, 05:27:20 PM
wait , what ?........they're all the same

As always, Mustang is the voice of reason!

threepot

Yes Mustang,their all the same! My gripe is theres no comparison or data to tell us how well they filter? :icon_scratch:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

You can only know what the manufacturers want you to know !

But I can tell you that in over a quarter million miles  of steamer travels on my 4 steamers , they have all seen at least one of every brand filter and the oil pressure is always the same (have a gauge )on 2 of the steamers . and there is no surprises in the oil at changing time either .

OIL filter and OIL threads are a lot like TIRE threads ...................everyone has their own opinions of what's best .

and you know those sites where you can send in an oil sample and they'll tell you what's in your used oil for contaminants ?
Well if you believe them , I've got a Bridge for sale .................................

We sent samples to one once , got two different reports of what was in the oil .
according to the reports , one of the samples was contaminated with main or rod bearing material .
and the bike was due to have a major failure because of it .
The other sample's report said everything is fine .
Funny part is both samples were from the same oil change from the same brand new bonneville . :ImaPoser

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on March 11, 2015, 07:31:01 PM
OIL filter and OIL threads are a lot like TIRE threads ...................everyone has their own opinions of what's best .

Hmmm. Haven't seen an oil or tyre thread for a while. Perhaps we should start a new one....??  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Just kidding. Everyone knows that Firestone tyres and Wal Mart oil are the best choices.

London_Phil

Mustang

Sin_Tiger

Now that's what I call research  :thumbsup

I have had duff Lubricant Analysis myself but almost every time I investigated I found the reason, be it a contaminated container, poor sampling procedure or just a screw up in the lab. In isolation, Lubricant Analysis will seldom give you a smoking gun and in the cases where I have experienced it, I found that I could have pretty much come to the same conclusion on site immediately using,  my nose,  a magnet,  a piece of white card, strong light and a magnifying glass and some accurate scales and a heart source. I would expect most of our engineers to be able to do the same and if they can't they need some basic training.

Like most of these technical analysis, including vibrational analysis, combustion products analysis, power output and cylinder efficiency measurements,  they are largely useless without a trend over a significant period and I'd certainly only use one set of results in conjuction with others.

Now that bridge you have for sale,  you didn't buy it from some English guy based on the Thames by any chance  :pimp  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint