News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i or 885i? Girly

Started by TR5TRIDER, March 12, 2015, 11:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

Esteemed forum members,

I am considering buying a Girly from a Triumph dealer and am puzzled by what the dealer is saying.
Triumph dealer tells me he has a 1999 Tiger and gives the displacement as 955 cc. this does not seem correct as I think the 955i did not come out until 2001 or perhaps late 2000. The Engine #00EHX083150, is there a way to verify displacement from the eng. #? Is this dealer correct?

Bert

Chris Canning

No it's not correct the 900i that came out in 99 is in fact 885 but fuel injected,Triumph normally have a 4 year engine policy before they are upgraded etc the 900/885i was such a success  :icon_frown: they ditched it after 2 years and introduced the 955 Tiger in april 2001 in fact they were in such a rush they put the motor in the Tiger before the launch of what it was really built for and that was new Daytona.

I had two of the 900i's their a million miles away from the 955i.

TR5TRIDER

Chris,

Thank you for the response. I am curious about your opinion relative to the difference in the 955i and the 885i, what can you tell me about the differences? Is it performance or dependability related?

Bert

Chris Canning

Triumph had only been building bikes for a handful of years and in 99 produced the T509 (955 Daytona) it was an absolute horror I can remember going into my dealer and it was like a bike breakers that had that many engines in pieces at one point the situation got that bad the factory started helping out.

I went on a tour of the factory with other 885i Tiger owners and when sat in the boardroom asking the design team questions and why wasn't the 885 really a 955 capacity there was a great deal of 'Shit what do we say now' because the bottom line they dare not risk it.

The 955 is a world away it has another 1000 revs on the redline now of course this is where everyone jumps up and down and says 'Well I don't race mine'!!! which isn't the point it means you can make great progress on a 955 and never go anywhere near the redline.

I'd liken the 885i to the early BMW K1200's most where crap but you get guys turn up who have had good ones that have run faultlessly but the reality is they got lucky,I've had conversations with guys about how many attempts it's taken to start their 885i and it's run right I could tell straight away if mine wasn't right turn it off and try again.

I took my second 885i in for service and while there test rode the 955 and I never went back to collect it.

The 955 is a totally different animal early versions have problems with the female fuel connectors and as they get older the stepper motor can be a hassle and that's about it,I've ridden the 1050 sport it's a good bike and more developed and sophisticated but I've ridden with guys on them and they struggled to hang on to me not the other way round.

Buy a 955 change the shock on the back put some aftermarket forks springs in the front with heavier oil you'll have a good bike assuming you can find a good low mileage one.

TR5TRIDER

Thank you for your opinion and experience Chris.

benebob

Having owned both I dont' disagree with a single statement about the 955i being a better engine, however, the 885i to me felt that it had a soul more so then the Japanese like 955i.  I miss mine loads, warts and all.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

I bet Bixxer has nearly wet himself laughing anyone that owns a Jap bike would never in a million years think of a 955 being Japanese like, by 99 I'd had 30 years of all things Japanese with a few others along the way but I'd had enough and needed a break but bought my XT in 2009  :icon_biggrin: and my first thought 'No wonder they sell so many Jap bikes'

Bixxer Bob

:ImaPoser

You're right Chris, I love/hate my 955 depending on the whether there's a vowel in the month.  My blackbird is seamlessly efficient, almost seeming impatient for me to get on with it; my Tiger has character, in the way that my wife has character...  needs a lot of attention and money spending to keep her happy, sulks and bitches for no apparent reason but when they're working right, boy what a ride....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Ron in Buffalo

Hi I own a 1999 900i. I also have a 98 bmw k1200rs. I have never rode a 995i. But I have been so satisfy w/ my 885i I haven't find a reason to do so. I understand the 995i has more power but how fast do you need to go on a adventure bike. Don't get me wrong i ride it for long periods at 90 to 100 mph hour. But I really don't feel comfortable or safe over 100 mph on this bike. But if I want to go faster i ride my beemer. I have put 15k on this bike in 3 seasons I have taken it on long trips. I did 2300 miles in 5 days. I find this bike very comfortable. I am 6'1" and 225 lbs and almost 60 yrs old. I have change chain and sprockets and on my 2nd set of tires. Besides oil changes, set of tires, and a K&N air filter this is all the $ I have spent on maintenance. I did put a Corbin seat and a Palmer windshield system for comfort. I realize with over 33k I need to put or replace the rear shock and upgrade the fork springs. I don't know what your looking for in a motorcycle but I would recommend a 885i tiger. Ron

Chris Canning

Bixxer phewww even my other half read your post but we did laugh  :icon_biggrin:

Ron

I was never happy running either of my two new 885i's(the first went phut but that's another story) at that speed I did but on stock gearing your way to close to the redline a 19 sprocket helps but the 885i just doesn't have the HP to pull it were as the 955 with a map and the airbox mod does with ease,don't get me wrong we tripped all over Europe on our second 885i in all weathers and it got the job done the 955 just does it easier and better and since Triumph have been going I think 885i is the only motor that's been shelved in under 2 years.

As for wanting to go any faster!! that will have raised a smile the times they are a changing we are well on the way to having a big traillie adventure bike that will do what ever you want and at just about any speed you want but hardly suprising we are 16 years on.

motoOzarks

Keep in mind the Steamers displacement and the new tigers are 800's

For like money go newer, but for the right price I'm sure it would be a nice ride.

Here's a link to MCN article comparing the two

http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/870/attachments/01-04%20tiger.pdf

Some banter from adv rider from 2005

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102504

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

benebob

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 13, 2015, 09:48:32 PM
:ImaPoser

You're right Chris, I love/hate my 955 depending on the whether there's a vowel in the month.  My blackbird is seamlessly efficient, almost seeming impatient for me to get on with it; my Tiger has character, in the way that my wife has character...  needs a lot of attention and money spending to keep her happy, sulks and bitches for no apparent reason but when they're working right, boy what a ride....

Bixxer,
I guess you god lucky with a low maint. better half.  :bug_eye  My 885i popped, farted, sounded like a Spitfire without an exhaust and had a warm up ecu map written by a Prius driver but the 955i ironed out all those issues, sometimes not always for the better.  Very comparable to an 80 UJM without those wonderful hydraulic lifters.  It even came in Appliance/Honda Silver.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800