News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A rattle... (and its not Sir Simon!)

Started by JayDub, April 02, 2015, 09:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

On the left side of the motor, there is a 'double' cover just below the shock resevoir... behind it I figured, is the crankshaft and balance shaft - But should it be slightly rattly? do I need to be this concerned?  :icon_eek:

Nick Calne

Hard to know. The standard sound of a steamer at idle is that of a bag of tools being dropped down some concrete stairs. Which doesnt help diagnosis.

Perhaps post a video of it so people can compare.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

Ditto what Nick says. Does the engine sound OK when riding? Otherwise I wouldn't worry
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

That what I thought - and hoped  :icon_biggrin: - Its not coming from the alternator area and I was wondering if it was the balance shaft drive gear... should I have a look behind the cover in case there's something obvious? or should I stop titting about as there's nothing I could do anyway  :blah

Sin_Tiger

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean we're not out to get you  :icon_mrgreen:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 03, 2015, 04:44:12 PM
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean we're not out to get you  :icon_mrgreen:
:bug_eye  :tin hat I get it! It's you and threepot innit.... Last nightI heard what sounded like tiger engines, and when I went out this morning BOTH my mirrors had been adjusted..... B*stards!

Nick Calne

Part of the joy of "steaming" is the constant suspicion that mechanical, electrical or complete structural failure is only seconds away.

I'd reserve your energy for spotting bad driving and watching out for Sintiger. He means it y'know.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

Quote from: JayDub on April 03, 2015, 05:42:15 PM
:bug_eye  :tin hat I get it! It's you and threepot innit.... Last nightI heard what sounded like tiger engines, and when I went out this morning BOTH my mirrors had been adjusted..... B*stards!
and we sorted the 'rattle' for ya! :bad
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

GavD

I'd be more worried if the rattling stopped!!!
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

davetheworv

as a non Tiger owner in here,(hope you don't mind), just so you know the Sprint 900 sounds like a sack of spanners too. I guess it's called character. Coz we kinda share the same engine I pop in here quite regularly for  Mosey round. Ride safe guys ....n gals

threepot

Only on 'idle' though. But as the revs increase.... :icon_razz:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

That's it... Only on idle, above that is just alternator whine really.

nickjtc

Now I know why the PO of Stanley buggered up the carbs and exhaust to make things louder.... so you cannot hear the mechanical cacophony of the motor.  :augie Actually I must be lucky because the motor does NOT sound like a mechanical Armageddon about to happen.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"