News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

01-04 Tiger changes

Started by Triple Teton, April 18, 2005, 12:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Teton

Greetings,

I have emberked upon a Tiger buying adventure.The first venture didn't work out due to a milage discrepency on an E-baylisted bike(45k instead of 3600. Currently listed on E-bay with proper miles) I currently own a 02 Centenial Daytona but alas living behind the spud curtain, the winters are long and dirt roads plentiful. Not a good match for the old street racer much (but iam keeping it!)

What revisions did Triumph make from 01-04 aside from the inclusion of hard bags in 04?

Any other recalls beside the fuel petcock?

What is a resonable price for an 01 with low miles?

What are the best side bags Givi, Triumph etc?

Thanks for the feedback,

Newie

Triple Teton
YABABY

Brock

Hey Triple...welcome mate.

There is no real difference between the 01 and 04 Tiger, but in 2004 Triumph introduced the 05 model with alloy wheels, tubeless tyres, different swingarm, silver painted frame, different colours/decals, slightly sharper steering head angle  and slightly stiffer suspension. Even with all those changes, it's still very much the same bike.

I had an 01 before my 04, and I reckon the build quality is a little better on my 04, with a few of the manky mild steel engine bolts changed for more durable stainless. In 04 they dropped the Black version, making it even more classy and exclusive as well as the meanest.

Early 04 bikes were recalled to check the pipework to the radiator expansion tank, and I've heard some really early bikes suffered from fragile clutch cables.

GIVI luggage is excellent and fully waterproof (you need a thinner one on the right due to the exhaust), although the Triumph stuff is good if not consistently waterproof (buy some inner bags).

Whichever you buy it's a Tiger through and through and the best value big traillie you can buy. It doesn't have to be low mileage, but try to find one that's been cherished, with regular dealer services and good quality oil.

Buy one and enjoy. go-on...you know you want to.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Triple Teton

Thanks for the feed back. Iam looking at two bikes currently on E-bay. They both are good deals at the moment. What they go for is a different story. The01 is alittle closer to me but the 04 is obviosly newer with both having very little miles. The 04 has a non-disclosed "buy it now price" just above the current listed price $6800, it ends tommorow. BUT the 01 has a low reserve @5100 that has been met. It ends in four or five days.

HELP!!!!!  :?:
YABABY

patsy mack

newie,

For reference I just bought a 2001 with <1000miles that was listed on the yahoo list its basicaly a new bike.It had every acessory listed in the tiger catalog except the race can.All recalls done and serviced every year 3 oil changes in 1000 miles and the kicker he had a transferable extended warantee good to 3/08.I paid 6500.I've been looking for a tiger for along time almost bought several I'm glad I waited I think I got a good one.

Pat

Triple Teton

Thanks for the feed back. If all goes well I will be picking up my new 01 Tiger in Reno, NV on Friday or Saturday. Pictures will definetly follow, nestled with my 02 Centetnial Daytona in the garage. Can one have too many motorcycles?????

Triple Teton :lol:
YABABY

Brock

Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Triple Teton

Hey All,

Thanks for the feed back.  I am a proud new owner of an 01 black TIger in imaculate  condition. I now understand what all the faithful followers are about. I like my Daytona but I love my Tiger.!!!!!! See you all on some adventures!!

Triple Teton
YABABY