News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Jacking rear wheel without centre stand

Started by haggis95, May 04, 2015, 12:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggis95

Any tips or tricks?

I'm in the middle of changing the sprockets and chain, but need to get the rear wheel up by myself..
There's a Tiger in my garage

nickjtc

In the absence of a centre stand (which imho is a good long term investment) use a jack, with a suitable piece of wood between it and the bottom of the engine, on the opposite side from the side stand.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

haggis95

So use the actual engine as a jacking point?

Mustang

yes but don't assume it will be stable........................ :nap

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on May 04, 2015, 02:02:54 AM
yes but don't assume it will be stable........................ :nap

Who said anything about it being a good idea..... :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

haggis95

I would jack my bonnie up all the time, but then it had that frame under the engine.

I have a bike lift with straps: so just use wooden blocks etc, and don't be afraid to use the engine?

nickjtc

Actually it works 'better' lifting under the rear shock (with a hole drilled in the wood to clear the grease nipple)............... but I would not be comfortable putting all the stress on the sidestand for any length of time. Unless there was something under the stand to make the bike more upright before starting.

Nah.... the centre stand was worth every penny!