News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pilot Road 4 -- Standard vs Trail

Started by audiododd, May 11, 2015, 12:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiododd

For everybody that's running Pilot Road 4s on their Girlies -- did you go for the Trail or Standard?  It looks like the "normal" tire is the Trail model for the Girly, but it seems that I have the option of getting the standard for the rear, which looks like it has a harder center section than the trail.  My riding is 95-98% street commuting (i.e. drive straight and then turn, rinse, repeat) and maybe 5% going out for some twisty fun.  That's why I'm looking at the standard for the rear. 

Does it really make a difference?

Thanks,

Dodd
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

nickjtc

For your kind of riding: standard. However, keep an open mind about the whole 'dual compound' thing.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

audiododd

What do you mean by "keep an open mind?"   The tire I have on now (Metzler Tourance) has a nice flat center now; that's why I was thinking about the dual compound.  I'm not opposed to other options though.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

nickjtc

Quote from: audiododd on May 11, 2015, 06:19:07 AM
What do you mean by "keep an open mind?"   The tire I have on now (Metzler Tourance) has a nice flat center now; that's why I was thinking about the dual compound.  I'm not opposed to other options though.

Good question. I am using Tourance NEXTs and the previous rear (after many miles of 'no twisties') got so flat that the tyre stood up by itself, it was so 'square'.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14448.0.html

This is supposed to be a dual compound tyre, where the centre of the tread does what it is supposed to, but is hard wearing blah, blah, blah...

Yes, this was caused by a long relentless drone on the Alaska Highway which must be as boring as they come BUT if the manufacturer is claiming that the dual compound means that the centre of the tyre will wear well over the life of the tyre...... well I'm unconvinced.

Many august individuals on this forum have said that it may be as well to choose an econo-tyre, with no bells and whistles, of which the manufacturer makes no claims, and accept the fact that they will wear out, BUT they do not cost as much to replace. (Shinko's anyone??)

And NO, I am not proposing the start of another tyre thread!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

Always used dual compound on the Blackbird, always end up with a flat centre, but then again, I do like the straight line acceleration...  :icon_cool:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

I spose if 95% of the miles are straight ones, then logically it can only wear in the center, as the edges get little use - so dual compound ones should last longer than normal? hence their existence - in theory anyway.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

lukeman

I have the trail on mine.  I like it, I do the occasional fire road.  They are amazing tires though, the wet traction is superb. I'd go standard if you are mainly on the pavement.