News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Not quite a 'ride' report but

Started by nik_the_brief, May 12, 2015, 10:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nik_the_brief

I attended a brilliant and worthwhile day at the Ride Skills course run by Kent Fire & Rescue Bike at Brands Hatch last Thursday.

It was faultlessly organised and incredibly professionally handled by the team. The weather was perfect, which was pretty well organised as, Wednesday's was woeful.   My 'Syndicate' (we didn't win the Lottery) started with slow riding skills, lots of stop/starting combined with a pre-Saaquatch modded Girly meant that I'd flattened my battery by teh end of the session and had to get a bump start but I picked up a great deal to add to my daily riding and control.  This has been very helpful as I'm still getting fully familiar with such a tall bike in comparison to my old Duc Monster. 

We did a short part of the Rider Down course learning when and how to safely remove a helmet from a crashed rider. That was followed by a 20 minute blast (or in my case wobble) round the Brands Hatch Indy circuit followed by a few minutes lunch break.  After lunch we had 1 to 1 observed rides by IAM volunteers - not all pipes and slippers either and it gave me a bit of a boost to know that at least my road riding is okay even if I'm brutal on a track. 

The organisers bent over backwards, even dismantling my top-box whilst I was in afternoon classes on Roadcraft so I wouldn't miss out on the final track session as well as giving me the second bump start of the day! Thankfully a good run back to the coast was all it needed to give it enough charge again.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this course to every rider, I can guarantee that you'll come away from the day with a lot of stuff to think about to improve personal safety and other people and have a brilliant but knackering day in the process.  All that and we even had a circuit briefing from BSB boy Chris Walker before another 20 minute whizz round the track. 

All this for a paltry £55, if you get the chance do it, it's a no brainer.

Bixxer Bob

I work as a volunteer trying to flog courses like this, I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to spread the word.  :thumbsup Sadly, the folks that could most benefit are the very ones that think they are so good they don't need it.   :^_^
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

:iagree I just wish such options were a bit closer to hand. I believe it's on Nicola Sturgeon 's to do list  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 12, 2015, 11:21:34 AM
Sadly, the folks that could most benefit are the very ones that think they are so good they don't need it.   :^_^

Never a truer word spoken! Here too; usually the cruiser crowd.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

If there was one around this area(ish) I'd be more than interested - everyone can always learn something, and pride don't come into it.

John Stenhouse

I signed up for the one run in Gloucester some time ago, it is another victim of the tory cuts so never got to do it.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nickjtc

I rode from '72 to '96 with no training (and in retrospect wonder how I managed to last that long!!), then took an 'experienced rider' course. I learned more in those two days than I had in the previous 24 years.  :qgaraduate That's what prompted me to become a riding instructor.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 15, 2015, 12:41:59 PM
Oi, Jaydub:

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/locate-a-force/north-wales/north-wales-english/about-north-wales-bikesafe/
Thanks Bob, I was aware of this one but didn't think it offered much when I first checked it out, It looks like they've updated their site as it seems more worthwhile now. I think I'll give it a go  :thumbsup

John Stenhouse

You do it on purpose don't you? TYhe first date I'm in France at Le Mans and the second I'm working at Beaulieu. Get them to add some more dates please.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

JayDub

Here's an interesting read.  It serves as more inspiration (for me anyway) to actually take part in a Bikesafe course.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/motorcyclists/hugger-rider-skills-downloads

Bixxer Bob

That's the bunch I'm involved with, based in Norwich.  The two-wheels side is run by Andy Micklethwaite, ex Nofolk Police Senior Instructor;  he took me for my assessed ride last year so I can use the team promo bike.  A great bloke and deceptively quick - as most police motorcyclists are...

I'm waiting permission to share the PDF version of their magazine which is about to be launched

JayDub

I thought there could be a poss connection with you, I'd be interested in a peek at that Bob  :icon_wink:

Spud

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 12, 2015, 12:05:31 PM
:iagree I just wish such options were a bit closer to hand. I believe it's on Nicola Sturgeon 's to do list  :ImaPoser

I thought she was on your to do list  :augie

cheers Spud  :thumbsup