News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is standard rubber ok with brake fluid?

Started by aesdj, May 30, 2015, 06:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

I've  put a radial front master cylinder off a Ducati 996 on the Tiger but had to custom fit a new reservoir as the original is mounted on an angle to make it sit horizonta/levell when clamped onto clipon's. Thing is I fitted it with standard 7mm rubber hose from my local car parts shop, like the stuff for your car screen washer jets. Went to it a week or two after fitting and the rubber is like sweating. Tasted it to see if it was condensation or something but i carn't make up my mind if it's the rubber i can taste or the brake fluid. My thinking is brake fluid as I've never seen this before so I'm thinking its something to do with the grade of rubber if they is such a thing. What's  your ideas? Bit confused as cars/bikes use rubber hoses all the time in there braking systems.

JayDub

The thought that's bouncing around my head is why risk it? Most motor factors will be able to make a pipe up, or have it made, or you could order a braided one from M&P etc
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on May 30, 2015, 06:54:54 PM
The thought that's bouncing around my head is why risk it?

:iagree. Surely a non-specific hose is not going to take the pressure of braking reliably. Put stainless on; they are not too expensive.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on May 30, 2015, 06:58:26 PM
:iagree. Surely a non-specific hose is not going to take the pressure of braking reliably
I just realised that he's talking about a remote reservoir?  - not as critical but f the hose gives up then your tiger will have extra stripes - brake fluid + paintwork =  :icon_cry:

aesdj

Quote from: JayDub on May 30, 2015, 07:33:13 PM
I just realised what he's talking about, a remote reservoir.  - not as critical but if the hose gives up then your tiger will have extra stripes - brake fluid + paintwork =  :icon_cry:

Yes it's only from the reservoir to the master cylinder so there's no pressure in the line. It's only about 5/6inch long and has a 180 degree bend in it so braided is out. Here's a picture if I've done it right and you can just make out the 'sweating'
http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/aesdj/library/Mobile%20Uploads

JayDub

I would say that is some kind of reaction between hose and fluid,  I'm not sure if the tubing you used is fuel/oil resistant but I have used fuel line before for brake reservoirs with no issues

Sin_Tiger

I'd be more concerned about what's going on inside, I've seen hoses swell up so much they completely block the flow.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

neilo

I was being a tight arse and thought I was being clever by putting a standard rubber hose on my cars power steering pump after the original split. The rubber hose threw in the towel pretty quick as it degraded so bad it also knackered the pump which led me to having to put  my hand in my pocket even deeper. Lesson learned for me 

aesdj

Figured it out, you've got to use rubber that is called EPDM so now the hunt is on. Local bike shop only do fuel line and don't know the grade is so I'm not risking that. Thorite (all things pipe etc) can get it but I have to buy 30 meters as they have to order it in. I think not so the next stop, ebay.