News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Who's a silly boy then??

Started by JayDub, May 30, 2015, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I lost some oil due to the leaking clutch push-rod seal, so off to the shed to get my top-up.  It took about 750ml, THEN I realised that instead of the bike oil, I had used the semi-synth car oil sitting next to it - specially designed for modern Vauxhall/GM engines it said.
The problem is... I was supposed to take the bike for MOT Monday as it expires at midnight and although I've ordered oil & filter, it won't arrive until Wed/Thur!!!
I haven't turned the engine over since, and I don't want to in case I contaminate the clutch plates  :BangHead ....Wot a t*t

threepot

Don't worry about it. A friend used car oil regularly in his Suzuki Bandit without any problems.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

That should be added to the 'things NOT to do list'  :icon_wink: But I doubt that 750ml out of the total will do a lot of harm, if any.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

I know Tp, I used 'no frills' 20/50 in  my gs750 for over 3 yrs/45k MLS with no probs, but semi-synth + steamers  :^_^

threepot

Oils have changed over the last few years. The best  oils,from what I can gather,were the SG and SH grades. They were the types with a lot of 'anti friction' additives. But they were 'buggering' up catalytic converters. So the amounts have been reduced? I serviced my tiger with car oil once. Ran it for a good few hundred miles with no issues to the clutch,so I don't think 'topping' up is going to have any long term problems.
Have you ever seen 'DO NOT USE IN MOTORCYCLES' on any oil packaging?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on May 31, 2015, 12:23:58 AM
but semi-synth + steamers  :^_^

??? I use 15/50 Motorex semi-synth in Stanley with no issues at all.

threepot

Quote from: nickjtc on May 31, 2015, 12:39:58 AM

??? I use 15/50 Motorex semi-synth in Stanley with no issues at all.

Semi synth is recommended for steamers anyway!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on May 31, 2015, 12:38:04 AM
Have you ever seen 'DO NOT USE IN MOTORCYCLES' on any oil packaging?

Never. Also never heard of anyone having problems with using 'car' oil in an engine with a wet clutch.... but apparently the world will stop spinning on its axis if you do.  :icon_lol: :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Sin_Tiger

:bug_eye another oil thread, don't look or you'll be turned to stone, no really a guy called Gandhi said it'll happen if more than 100 people view the page at the same time and he should know as he's a IT consultant.

Are your brakes good, all the electrics working, no slop in any bearings, nothing leaking,  you see where in going with this  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on May 31, 2015, 06:34:21 AM
Never. Also never heard of anyone having problems with using 'car' oil in an engine with a wet clutch.... but apparently the world will stop spinning on its axis if you do.  :icon_lol: :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
Sorry Niall, I didn't intend this to become another oil debate, but using car oil in a bike engine with a wet clutch is actually well known for causing clutch slip - with semi-synth but particularly fully synth.
I've had the problem myself with a ZX900 and a XJ750, that's why there are both types available and its not just so the manufacturers can rip us off, but the additives are different - API/SL/JASO MA/MA2 etc (although that shouldn't cause the big price difference) some bikes will be happy on any oil, whether its down to the amount of wear the clutch already has, or the how slippery the oil is - I dunno but it does happen.
* Nick.. It's not the fact that its semi-synth... its the fact that some car oils are not compatible... BTW, why 15/50 over 10/40?
But stuff it! I'm gonna fire it up and book it in for test, and if the clutch plates get buggered then you lot can each donate one two.  :nod

threepot

it'll be fine..but see what you've started! think we'll have trouble with you in July?? :icon_rolleyes: :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

You can count on it Tp  :pottytrain2 .... but why does everyone gang up on me I wonder  :icon_scratch:

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on May 31, 2015, 01:02:39 PM
BTW, why 15/50 over 10/40?

I used it in my Thruxton and had some left over when I got Stanley. Coincidentally the po used the same stuff in Stanley so I just continued using it.

JayDub

'Sokay - yer can all put yer spare clutch plates back, I even managed to pop little wheelie  :bad
So it's Homebargain £8.99 stuff from now on  :icon_biggrin:

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on June 01, 2015, 12:06:02 AM
'Sokay - yer can all put yer spare clutch plates back, I even managed to pop little wheelie  :bad
So it's Homebargain £8.99 stuff from now on  :icon_biggrin:

And I was hoping for a full blown oil thread to emerge from this. I suppose I'll just have to drink the beer I got ready and eat the crisps.  :icon_cry: :icon_sad: :icon_cry: