News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Gauge Display issue.

Started by aergern, June 09, 2015, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aergern

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything via search.

The issue is that I pulled the '15 XCx out of the garage this morning to go to work and it had a 90% full tank but showed 0. It's a month old tomorrow and has little under 800 miles on it. I'm exactly sure what's what on it. It's had the break in service and I do not think they pulled the tank for any reason. It was fine on Friday (06/05) then today (05/08) it wasn't showing up. I didn't notice it this weekend as I was on my Street Triple all weekend.

Any ideas?

I do have a request in for the dealer to look at it ... I'm just curious if anyone has run into this.

Thanks.
--
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Mustang

Happens quite frequently to the Girly tigers from 1999-2006

the fuel sender is not up to the task sometimes and works intermittently

would'nt be surprised if triumph used the same or similar part for the 800's/ 1200's

aergern

Well, I guess I'll keep the appointment and have them check it out and replace it if it is the issue.

Thanks. :)
--
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Sin_Tiger

The earlier XC's (non ride by wire) do take a few miles before a fill registers but not heard of that one. Warranty checkout  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

aergern

Yeah, I figured it's a faulty part.
--

aergern

Yep. It's the fuel sender. New part has been ordered. No idea what killed it. Ah well. It'll get fixed.

Thanks.
--

aergern

Well, muthaf****** 3 tanks later and the fuel sender starts working again. WTF? I did nothing but switch back to the default levers from the shorties which I know means NOTHING for the fuel sender. It just magically starts working 3 tanks of fuel later.

Not sure I should have them replace it or not. The part hasn't come in so we'll see. If it keeps working from now until the time the dealer calls.. I may tell them to forget it.  :bug_eye :bug_eye
--

Sin_Tiger

:icon_scratch: I think you should get this week's weird prize.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: aergern on June 20, 2015, 04:46:13 AM
Well, muthaf****** 3 tanks later and the fuel sender starts working again. WTF? I did nothing but switch back to the default levers from the shorties which I know means NOTHING for the fuel sender. It just magically starts working 3 tanks of fuel later.

Not sure I should have them replace it or not. The part hasn't come in so we'll see. If it keeps working from now until the time the dealer calls.. I may tell them to forget it.  :bug_eye :bug_eye
get it replaced while it's under warranty it'll screw up again ,guaranteed

aergern

A few folks on the Triumph RAT (and ADVRider) forums have mentioned this. I do not know if they are f'ing with me but since it's a '15 is inundated with electronic doodads ... I'll ask this here. Does this sound out of bounds? Google is fairly useless when I search for it.

One poster from the RAT forums:

"Aftermarket levers???  That's some information we could have used yesterday... or at least on the 8th of June. :D I read elsewhere there is an extra tab on the new stock levers used to operate a microswitch so the electronics know you've pulled in the clutch.  For whatever reason, the fuel gauge doesn't work without that tab."
--

John Stenhouse

Well there's definately a tab there to tell the electronics you've pulled the clutch, it's there on all the Triumphs, it's the clutch switch which allows you to start the bike, try just pressing the starter without pulling the clutch you wont get far.

A connection to the fuel guage is extremely unlikely.

This isn't the latest Audi A8, the ONLY parts that are electronic are the fuel and sparks. The rest despite all the marketing bullshit is just the same old stuff barring maybe a printed circuit or two in the dash.

Try not to get taken in by the   :Topes
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

aergern

Yeah, I wasn't sure. I'll probably go ahead and have the fuel sender replaced since it's a warrent thing. I might as well. It just costs me time.  :thumbsup
--

Sin_Tiger

As John says, the clutch switch has been on Triumphs for many years and part of the start inhibit circuit for almost as many.

If you managed to start and run the bike with the shorty levers then that has nothing to do with the issue you're experiencing. The poster of that comment has either got his writes crossed or is talking through a hole in his Akrapovic. Either that our he's yanking your chain.

I can't for the life of me think of a reason why the fuel level indicator would need to know when you're changing gear or sitting at the lights holding the clutch in. I don't think even KTM electronics have figured they need to know what the tank level is to adjust the suspension while cornering or braking and slipping the clutch at the same time (yet).

End of the day, if it's still under warranty get the dealer to sort it as it's not right and your riding enjoyment and concentration will be compromised if it's on your mind.

aergern

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 21, 2015, 11:10:06 AM
As John says, the clutch switch has been on Triumphs for many years and part of the start inhibit circuit for almost as many.

Yeah, I know about this ... the Street Triple R that shares the garage has it and the 3 retired Triumphs in the past have had this . I thought with the new electronics package that something might have changed. It didn't and those other folks are just mistaken. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if there was a *new* switch that was added. Fair enough.

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 21, 2015, 11:10:06 AM
If you managed to start and run the bike with the shorty levers then that has nothing to do with the issue you're experiencing. The poster of that comment has either got his writes crossed or is talking through a hole in his Akrapovic. Either that our he's yanking your chain.

I can't for the life of me think of a reason why the fuel level indicator would need to know when you're changing gear or sittin :ear :blahg at the lights holding the clutch in. I don't think even KTM electronics have figured they need to know what the tank level is to adjust the suspension while cornering or braking and slipping the clutch at the same time (yet).

End of the day, if it's still under warranty get the dealer to sort it as it's not right and your riding enjoyment and concentration will be compromised if it's on your mind.

Fair enough, I'm going to have them replace it ... was just again as I said ... covering the bases.

Cheers.
--

Sin_Tiger

True, at least you know you've done your homework before you walk into the dealer  :thumbsup