News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lowering the rear by flipping the chain adjusters

Started by GavD, June 28, 2015, 06:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

There's always more to something than first meets the eyes isn't there!!!
I lowered the rear on my bike by rotating the chain adjuster cams at the rear of the swingarm so that the wheel spindle sits at the top instead of the bottom.

I can't remember who it was on here, but someone had reported once that the clamp part of the swingarm that hold these cams in place had cracked when tightening up the clamp with the allen head bolt. Bearing this in mind, I'd always tightened them, but not overtightened them when adjusting the chain.

To the point - when out riding today, I was getting a bit throttle happy  :wheel and all of a sudden there was alot of vibration and mechanical noise from the rear end :nap. I pulled over fairly sharpish to find the chain was extremely slack. After a couple of minutes of "What the f*%k happened there?" I realised with the way I was running it the drive from the engine to the chain and hence to the rear sprocket is trying to turn the cams and thus loosen the chain. With the cams in their proper position it would have the opposite effect and would try to tighten the chain which would obviously be less dramatic and would have less serious possible consequences. With a lack of tools on the bike I limped the 2 miles home and sorted it.

Needless to say the cams are back in their proper place.

My initial thought when it first went was "Shit, there goes Wales next weekend :BangHead", but luckily it's all sorted and managed a 40 mile test ride, so I'm afraid you'll have to put up with us next weekend!!

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

nickjtc

That's good to know. I always assumed that the bike manufacturer made things the way they are for a reason and messing about can lead to trouble! Perhaps that is why there is no mention of changing the adjuster status quo in the manual.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

If you are at all concerned about breaking a clamp ring then I would be tempted to do a crack check. Who's to say what's happened prior to your ownership / stewardship. I wouldn't expect a crack if they've always been tightened to spec.

Cheapo dye penetrant test, thin down some clothes dye (red is easiest to see), clean the suspect areas with degreaser then paint the dye on, it can help to warm the area using a hairdryer (I take no responibility if she catches you  :pottytrain2) from behind towards the bearing end of the swing arm and keep applying until it cools. Then wipe it all down with degreaser, don't spray or pour the degreaser, just wipe with a moist cloth. Now you need some matt white paint, prefenbaly a spray, I have even seen watered white chalk powder used, as a developer. Before you paint the area make sure you have the means to clean it off before it cures, cover the suspected area and if possible force drying with a very light air stream over the surface.

A crack that might not normally be visible will usually show pretty quickly, just don't be misled by surface imperfections on a weld, a crack normally has two ends or two edges at either end that are quite distinct.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

To be fair to triumph, on the brake caliper bracket that the wheel spindle goes through there is a small tang that stops you doing this .................. right up until the point that you get the angle grinder out of the shed!!!!! :augie

GavD

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 28, 2015, 07:30:14 PM
If you are at all concerned about breaking a clamp ring then I would be tempted to do a crack check.

Sin,

I'm not concerned that I have a crack, I have just always been mindful not to over tighten them. Obviously last time I did the chain I was a little too mindful !! When I got home with it and checked, I had tightened them, and I couldn't move the cams myself without loosening the pinch bolts, so it was just a case of the torque overcoming the friction and moving them.

My intention by posting this was just to make other people aware really, to save the embarrassment of being by the side of the road swearing and kicking things like me today. :icon_redface:

Mustang

Mrs M's steamer has had the eccentrics flipped for over 50,000 miles and has never had a chain go slack on her .
nor has the pinch bolt cracked the swingarm .  :^_^

has worn out two chain sliders (mostly the bottom run)and two rub blocks

ignition pickup senders on the other hand  :icon_rolleyes:
she's on #3 for the senders , fucking GILL pieces of shit

Nick Calne

My swingarm cracked probably due to overtightening by the garage doing a MOT but possibly something else I guess. Check it out, if I was you.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Gav, yup understood. Just felt like rambling along similar lines for the sake of anyone else reading.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

Gav, one, directly related, thing did occur to me this morning. Have you had a look inside the bottom of the primary cover. I've seen one that was damaged from a very slack chain, hopefully you caught it early enough.

GavD

I was thinking something similar this morning.  Might tackle it in a bit when I've finished domestic duties. Gotta drain the oil first though.

JayDub

No need to drain the oil on a steamer Gav.... lean the right side against a wall (I wrap a bungee around the front brake lever too), I changed the front sprocket like that.  :nod

GavD

Good news, whipped the cover off and it all looks ok in there. A few scratches here and there, but certainly no chunks taken out of anything. :thumbsup

JayDub

GavD

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: GavD on June 29, 2015, 09:40:11 PM
Good news, whipped the cover off and it all looks ok in there. A few scratches here and there, but certainly no chunks taken out of anything. :thumbsup

:hello2