News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork overhaul

Started by JohanB, October 01, 2015, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Didn't someone on this forum say if it ain't broke don't f.. with it? I could rant, being a ghof, but I wont!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

KuzzinKenny

Got me horn moved up a bit to give the forks there full suspension travel  :icon_redface: :thumbsup

as i already had the part No of the springs i wanted i phoned the place i got the G/V emulators from and they had them in stock so i ordered them online from them cos ya get free post that way  :nod :bad :icon_wink: order monday, arrived tuesday  :thumbsup

http://pdq1.com

and they do playplal  :icon_wink:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

brad1098

Does anyone know the internal difference between 2002 and 2006 forks.
02 black-Lorna

Timbox2

Quote from: brad1098 on May 10, 2016, 08:48:57 PM
Does anyone know the internal difference between 2002 and 2006 forks.

Only thing I know for sure is that fork travel went from 200mm to 170mm on the cast wheel bikes
2016 Tiger Sport

brad1098

Anyone?

Spring rate, air gap, valving?

02 black-Lorna

nickjtc

Sorry, Brad. Can't help because I'm not a Girly (with or without asterisks :icon_wink:) owner. Someone is sure to chime in.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Timbox2

Quote from: brad1098 on June 08, 2016, 09:20:05 AM
Anyone?

Spring rate, air gap, valving?

Apart from the travel difference already mentioned I can help with 1 out of 3 of the above, air gap on 2002 bike is 107mm, on 2006 bike is 146mm
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Run mine with Ohlins springs and 720cc of 15wt but I've sticky 17" front tyre to lean on not a 19" so pick what ever bones you want out of it.

brad1098

Side by side comparisons.  The 2006 fork is 37-40 mm shorter than the 2002.  That will get the front end down plenty.

The lower casting is identical.
02 black-Lorna

VABird

So with all the talk about ATF being used as fork oil and all the time that's passed, what is the conclusion?
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Timbox2

Quote from: VABird on December 10, 2019, 03:00:18 AM
So with all the talk about ATF being used as fork oil and all the time that's passed, what is the conclusion?

ATF is ok if your happy with the stock damping, mine had Hyperpro Springs & 15cwt fork oil which can be a bit harsh at first in cold weather. The Ally wheel Tigers had a stiffer set up to start with anyway compared to the earlier spoke jobs.
2016 Tiger Sport

VABird

Quote from: Timbox2 on December 10, 2019, 06:07:44 PM
ATF is ok if your happy with the stock damping, mine had Hyperpro Springs & 15cwt fork oil which can be a bit harsh at first in cold weather. The Ally wheel Tigers had a stiffer set up to start with anyway compared to the earlier spoke jobs.

Thanks, I just decided I'd better stick with factory recommended 10 WT.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Bixxer Bob

Ah..... but.......  which 10W?   

I can only talk from personal experience.

I loved the handling of my Girly, but after doing the fork service and using the recommended weight (10W I think, from memory) it handled like a pogo stick.

After doing some research I found that unlike engine oil,where numbers are exact, damper oil "weight" is a notional value and every make differs so what then becomes important is the viscosity. After more research, I found a very good Aussie spreadsheet that compared the viscosity of various oils and it turns out that (again I'm doing this from memory so you night want to check) Silkolene Pro 7.5W is almost spot on the same as the Kayaba 10W recommended by Triumph.  Another oil change and peace was restored.

Here's the link:

https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...