News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork overhaul

Started by JohanB, October 01, 2015, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on November 10, 2015, 07:15:15 PM
Guinea pig  :bad

Naa !! i think i'll go with Race Tech as Sasquatch said "they are the original designer"

all i need to do now is find some dosh  :icon_eek:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Chris Canning

Must have been a guilty conscience after reading this haven't done them for 3 years or so :icon_redface: I was amazed how clean the oil was that came out :icon_eek:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 17, 2015, 07:17:28 PM
Must have been a guilty conscience after reading this haven't done them for 3 years or so :icon_redface: I was amazed how clean the oil was that came out :icon_eek:

Yours never goes out in the rain though Chris so no chance of water contaminating it.  And it does mainly high speed motorway miles so not particularly taxing for the suspension.  Mine's an all-weather Girl and bumps around Norfolk a lot of the time.

The Tiger fork oil wasn't as bad as the Blackbird fork oil the last time I changed it though; the Blackbird stuff was like metal paint.  I changed the bushes at the same time because there was some slight flex front to back so that probably had something to do with it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

trophydave

I have just changed the fork oil on my CB500.Out came some foul smelling grey stuff that was probably once oil,in went some ATF,mainly because it was five quid for a litre and I'm a tightwad.I haven't ridden it yet so cant report back on any improvement.

Chris Canning

Not too sure the old Tiger would agree with you Bix when it's seen the rain in the past normally been a 3/500 mile day,but at home your right very early on I realised the old triple was a precious resource not to wasted on such mundane things.

One of the joys of being a hoarder  :icon_redface: or should that be buying things at the right price rather than when I need them  :icon_confused: even stumped up a new front mudguard out of the loft  :icon_eek:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 18, 2015, 09:57:32 AM
Not too sure the old Tiger would agree with you Bix when it's seen the rain in the past normally been a 3/500 mile day.......

:icon_lol:  I forgot, you're such an obsessive cleaner..... 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KuzzinKenny

Anyone have any info about cast wheel standard fork spring rates ??

also i've been readin up on the forks but still can't find out if i need a damper rod removal tool  :^_^

will i need to split the forks to get the damper rod out  :^_^

cheerz

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: KuzzinKenny on November 25, 2015, 01:27:10 AM
Anyone have any info about cast wheel standard fork spring rates ??

also i've been readin up on the forks but still can't find out if i need a damper rod removal tool  :^_^

will i need to split the forks to get the damper rod out  :^_^

cheerz

KK

Bump

nickjtc

Quote from: KuzzinKenny on November 29, 2015, 01:04:57 AM
Bump

Sorry, Ken. Can't help. But I am following this thread with interest.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

also i've been readin up on the forks but still can't find out if i need a damper rod removal tool  :^_^  No, you can get by without

will i need to split the forks to get the damper rod out  :^_^    No

Spring rates:  Can't find any info on the originals, you could try emailing Triumph or contact RaceTech

KuzzinKenny

Cheerz BB  :thumbsup

My thinkin is to just use the Triumph springs and fit the emulators and change the oil (not decided on what type yet)  :icon_scratch: cos i ride solo but i do carry a lot O stuff  :augie :icon_rolleyes:

KK

Bixxer Bob

Again, have a chat with Racetech.  Tell them about how you ride, what weight you carry (and where) and they should be able to advise on oil, airgap and base settings otherwise you'll be on a long road of stripping and reassembling after every change until you get it right.

Having looked at how they work,  it should be fairly easy to modify the fork caps to take an adjuster so that you don't need to strip to change the emulator setting, or even buy a set of caps with adjusters that can then be made to mate witht he emulators.

nickjtc

Quote from: KuzzinKenny on November 29, 2015, 06:48:25 PM

....fit the emulators and change the oil (not decided on what type yet

Oooooo, I feel another oil thread coming on. :new_popcornsmiley Hang on while I get a beverage du jour and some snacky-poos.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sasquatch

Stock spring rate is between .58kg/mm and .60kg/mm.  The average sized rider should be running about a .90kg/mm spring in those forks, so the stock ones are very undersized.  This is common with all manufacturers.

ATF works fantastic for fork oil in those forks.  Not only do I use it in my customer's bikes, I run it in my own.

No real way to make the emulator externally adjustable, it moves up and down with the lower damping tube.
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sasquatch on November 30, 2015, 06:01:45 PM

No real way to make the emulator externally adjustable, it moves up and down with the lower damping tube.

Thought it looked too easy..... :icon_rolleyes: